Re: UrlScan available for IIS 6.0?

From: David Wang [Msft] (
Date: 02/27/03

From: "David Wang [Msft]" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:06:41 -0800

This is a frequently asked question:
1. URLScan is not a part of IIS 6
2. Existing versions of URLScan can run on IIS 6, but you will have to
manually extract and run the URLScan installer.

A Lockdown tool is not needed for IIS6 because it already comes locked down.
Thus, you will not need URLScan to get secure -- you can run URLScan
optionally for defense in depth, though some URLScan features are not as
fine-grained as IIS6 features.

We will be providing information on common troubleshooting and some cures
for symptoms to help you open up only the necessary parts of the system for

"Tomas Jeffries" <> wrote in message
It is part of IIS 6.0
"Brian Kuhn" <> wrote in message
> I have a server with the Beta 2 of Windows.NET Server 2003
> installed. I would like to have UrlScan installed, but IIS
> LockDown tool only applies to IIS 5. Does anyone know if
> there is going to be an IIS LockDown Tool available for
> IIS 6.0, and if UrlScan will be available as well?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ASP.NET 2.0 maximum URL length?
    ... explicitly installed on my IIS7/Vista system? ... URLScan - an add-on tool I have not installed. ... It's a recommended install for IIS 4.0 and 5.0, ...
  • Re: Restrict by UserAgent
    ... Performance concerns for the Apache solution is real because in that case, ... I would not automatically assume that the same caveat affects IIS ... > Well, after going through the available documentation on URLScan 2.5, it ... Apache cannot do this without using a custom module which happens to ...
  • Re: URLscan problem
    ... I did indeed restart the IIS server after ... I took a look at the URLscan log files and found my ... >URLscan seems to be causing a problem with public folder ...
  • RE: IIS Lockdown Blues
    ... If you're having that many problems just running iislockd and the URLScan ... unrelated to IIS or the Lockdown Tool. ... > installing the corrupted URLScan installation. ...
  • RE: IIS 5 Log FIle Question
    ... IIS 5 Log FIle Question ... Below is a snippet from the logs. ... Does the fact the it says <Rejected by urlscan> imply ... This E-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses before delivery. ...