Re: IIS Stopped Occasionally

From: BPHQ - Paul (paulhome@bphealthcare.com)
Date: 02/22/03

From: "BPHQ - Paul" <paulhome@bphealthcare.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:42:03 +0800

The entire IIS stops working indeed until I restart the actual machine on
which the IIS runs. Thanks.

"David Wang [Msft]" <someone@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please describe what you mean by "After it is stopped I cannot manually
> restart it" -- is this stopped as in the website stops working, or stopped
> as in the entire IIS stops working -- and "restart the server" -- is it
the
> webserver or the actual machine itself.
>
> I'm suspecting you're describing that IIS stopped, and you can't restart
IIS
> because of the error message, and it works when you reboot the server
> machine (i.e. "restart the server").
>
> I suspect you have a faulty application running on IIS that is crashing
IIS,
> and we'll need to find that application. The "irritating message" is just
> clue to you that something is still hanging onto a port 80 that IIS wants
> bind to on restarting but can't. Either the crashing application left
> something hanging on port 80 or you have something else running on port 80
> are the usual suspects -- NETSTAT -AN should tell you what's going on
with
> port 80 on your machine at that time.
>
> --
> //David
rights.
> //
> "BPHQ - Paul" <paulhome@bphealthcare.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, it's IIS 5 on Windows 2000 server, it was just stopped by itself
> occasionally without any error message returned. I dunno whether the
> web-based database application might be the cause. Sometimes, it's running
> smoothly for a few months but the worst it may be stopped a few times
within
> a week. Thanks.
>
> "David Wang [Msft]" <someone@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You are either talking about IIS5 on Windows 2000 Server or IIS6 on
> Windows
> > 2003 Server. Which product are you referring to?
> >
> > It sounds like you have conflicting WebServers on that machine which
> prevent
> > IIS from running properly. If you cannot get a clue from the Event
Viewer
> > and cannot give any more specific information on what you did and what
> > message (exactly) was return, it will be very hard to answer further
> > questions.
> >
> > --
> > //David
> rights.
> > //
> > "BPHQ - Paul" <paulhome@bphealthcare.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > I'm running Windows 2000 Server with IIS 6 installed, may I know
what
> > might be the cause of stopping the IIS occasionally ? After it's
stopped,
> > cannot manually restart it coz the irritating message will show "Address
> > Already In Use" until I restart the server but this will pose lots of
> > troubles on the users accessing to it. Is there any way to trace out the
> > cause ? BTW, I cannot get a clue from the events viewer.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Question on IIS servers and reverse lookup ... found answer
    ... netbios over TCP/IP on the interface your web server uses to talk to the ... There's a huge list of steps to take to secure an IIS ... logs) in addition to the low-level packet capture. ... packet is being sent to that UDP:137 port. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: HttpHandler not working
    ... !>have anything to do with the non default port that I am using?? ... The 404 Page not found error from IIS is typical error message for permission problems. ... But when I run it from our web app server (Windows Server 2003-R2, ... and automatically has read rights to the datafeed directory in your development box.. ...
  • Re: Can I run an Internet web server from a Win2K computer?
    ... You can deffinately run an internet website from IIS on Windows 2000 Pro., ... Be aware though, that there can be no more than 10 simultaneous connections, but for your homegrown website, I would think that this is not a problem. ... You will have to set up your broadband router to forward incoming HTTP connections on port 80 to the computer hosting the website ... I'm trying to use the web server that comes with Windows 2000 ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: ISA2004 SP2: EventID 14148
    ... Please do not send email directly to this alias. ... is that it does work on Small Business Server ... IIS 6.0 and host headers. ... The Web Proxy filter failed to bind its socket to 218.188.188.188 port ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: Am I hacked? IIS dying, telnet localhost 443 gives: Hallo, Willkommen auf Compactzone Stro!
    ... miscreant has remote access to the box with admin rights. ... I have a server running IIS and I ... When I try to telnet the server using port 443 I get the same ...