Re: IIS Stopped Occasionally

From: David Wang [Msft] (someone@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/21/03

From: "David Wang [Msft]" <someone@online.microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:01:18 -0800

Please describe what you mean by "After it is stopped I cannot manually
restart it" -- is this stopped as in the website stops working, or stopped
as in the entire IIS stops working -- and "restart the server" -- is it the
webserver or the actual machine itself.

I'm suspecting you're describing that IIS stopped, and you can't restart IIS
because of the error message, and it works when you reboot the server
machine (i.e. "restart the server").

I suspect you have a faulty application running on IIS that is crashing IIS,
and we'll need to find that application. The "irritating message" is just a
clue to you that something is still hanging onto a port 80 that IIS wants to
bind to on restarting but can't. Either the crashing application left
something hanging on port 80 or you have something else running on port 80
are the usual suspects -- NETSTAT -AN should tell you what's going on with
port 80 on your machine at that time.

--
//David
//
"BPHQ - Paul" <paulhome@bphealthcare.com> wrote in message
Sorry, it's IIS 5 on Windows 2000 server, it was just stopped by itself
occasionally without any error message returned. I dunno whether the
web-based database application might be the cause. Sometimes, it's running
smoothly for a few months but the worst it may be stopped a few times within
a week. Thanks.
"David Wang [Msft]" <someone@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You are either talking about IIS5 on Windows 2000 Server or IIS6 on
Windows
> 2003 Server.  Which product are you referring to?
>
> It sounds like you have conflicting WebServers on that machine which
prevent
> IIS from running properly.  If you cannot get a clue from the Event Viewer
> and cannot give any more specific information on what you did and what
> message (exactly) was return, it will be very hard to answer further
> questions.
>
> --
> //David
rights.
> //
> "BPHQ - Paul" <paulhome@bphealthcare.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>      I'm running Windows 2000 Server with IIS 6 installed, may I know what
> might be the cause of stopping the IIS occasionally ? After it's stopped,
> cannot manually restart it coz the irritating message will show "Address
> Already In Use" until I restart the server but this will pose lots of
> troubles on the users accessing to it. Is there any way to trace out the
> cause ? BTW, I cannot get a clue from the events viewer.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internal Server Error (500) - The data is invalid (IIS/6)
    ... the most simple HTML probably generated by the web server ... HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error ... This includes IIS restart or server restart. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Error 401.1 (iis 6.0)
    ... Getting 401.1 indicates that the username/password provided to IIS was ... IIS6 should never need to restart -- just recycling the Application Pool ... I would look at the hang ... Try using IIS State when the server appears hanging and post the log here. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: IIS Stopped Occasionally
    ... The entire IIS stops working indeed until I restart the actual machine on ... > machine (i.e. "restart the server"). ... > something hanging on port 80 or you have something else running on port 80 ...
  • Re: Internal Server Error (500) - The data is invalid (IIS/6)
    ... The server nor hangs nor crashes. ... any application running on top of IIS (and the one that does works ... >> Restart, well restarting helps nothing. ... Is it html, ASP, CF? ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • RE: Error restarting IIS6
    ... message when you tried to restart or stop the IIS admin service. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)