Secure Website

From: Stephen Goehler (
Date: 01/28/03

From: "Stephen Goehler" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:58:55 -0500

Hey guys,

Quick question. I have a website on the Internet. I want to create a
secure section of it where users can login and download files.

What is the recommended way to do this? Basic Authentication is easy, but
not really secure. Integrated Windows Authentication is more secure, but it
also requires me to give out the domain name for users to login in. Am I
better off using PHP and a database to have users login in? Another way?
What do you suggest? I can figure out how do it it (I'm not asking that),
just what direction I should go. There will be a small number of users, and
each user (about 5-10 total) after logging in would get a different
selection of files that he/she would be permitted to download.