Re: IIS 5 on Win2k - protecting from DoS and other vulnerabilities

From: Jeff Cochran (jcochran.nospam@naplesgov.com)
Date: 01/27/03

From: jcochran.nospam@naplesgov.com (Jeff Cochran)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:35:19 GMT

> I am a newbie in the scurity realm. I have a secure site that is hosted
>on IIS and uses client side certificates for access to the site. And,
>further forms based authentication on getting access to the site to use the
>site functionality.
>
>I want to know how significant is the treat of DoS attacks are in a secure
>(SSL) based site that uses client side certificates for access. Also, other
>issues/ vulnerablilites that I need to watch out for.
>
>I also have a non secure site hosted on the same server as the secure site.
>Does this increase the level of threat and am I better of moving the sites
>onto separate servers.

None of this affects the traditional DoS and DDoS attacks, which rely
on simply there being a network connection, IIS and web sites aren't
involved.

To protect against DoS attacks requires a firewall that understands
them and drops the requests. Even so, your link could get overloaded
if there are enough of them.

Mercifully, if you're not a government web site, news organization or
other high profile site you're likely not a target either. Unless you
piss off some hacker wannabes like I once did... :)

Jeff