Calling external program from dll in IIS/ASP

From: Kevin Vogler (kvogler@voglerandassociates.com)
Date: 01/15/03

From: "Kevin Vogler" <kvogler@voglerandassociates.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:36:08 -0600

I have a dll that allows me to connect to the Peachtree btrieve database
from an an application. When the dll's connect method is called, it first
checks to see if an executable (W32MKDE.exe which is the btrieve engine)
located in the Peachtree directory is running, if not, it starts it. If the
btrieve engine is not running AND the connect method is called from a
Windows app such as an Access vba module, it works fine. However, when the
connect method is called from an ASP page, it fails unless the btrieve
engine is started manually by opening the Peachtree app. Then I can connect
and read the Peachtree db fine from ASP. Setting permissions for
IUSR_machinename in all related directories (such as Peachtree's) doesn't
help. The only way I could get it to work was to give all users complete
control of everything. This is not a desirable solution. But after applying
the latest version of the IIS lockdown tool, I was unable to get even the
"unlimited permission for everyone" method to work. I'm too inexperienced
with security to know what was changed by the lockdown tool.

The situation I'm describing is my development machine that runs both IIS
and Peachtree. The final installation is on a firewalled intranet with
Peachtree running on an NT Server and IIS running on a Win2k server. The
ASP app will not accessible outside the intranet.

Any suggestions on changes that would allow the executable to called from
the dll? I can't call it directly either.

Many thanks in advance.

Kevin Vogler