Re: OS/ Windows 98 se Kernal32.dll

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 01/12/03

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:09:15 -0500

If it's really spelled kernal32.dll, that is not a Windows file and could be
a virus or a trojan.

No matter what it's spelled, you should make sure you have an antivirus
program installed with the latest updates for this week also installed.
www.grisoft.com is free antivirus.

Then you can try standard troubleshooting techniques, most notably a full
scandisk and defrag, allowing scandisk to search extensively for bad sectors
which could indicate a physically failing hard drive.

It could also just be that it's time to reinstall Windows, if it's been on
your computer more than 3 years.

You posted in the wrong group so you won't get the best advice here... this
is not an IIS or a security issue. Try also posting to another group. You
should also try searching www.google.com and also
www.google.com/advanced_group_search for the exact error message you are
receiving.

Other general things you can try are here:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#gpf

"Bill" <american5092@juno.com> wrote in message
> OS/ Windows 98 se >>I have disk upgrade from windows 95
> Problem ...
>
> Kernal32.dll 0167:bff87ede
> This program has performed an illegal operation and will
> be shut down.
>
> looked up microsoft error message for explorer and
> Iexplorer went to start > files > looked for *PWL and
> removed as instructed...
>
> Put in New MSuser....
>
> \Now I am completely errored out of all programs that have
> explorer, Iexplorer, control panel >>> you name it
>
> Now I get....
>
> MFC42.dll 0167:5F45b55
>
> This program has performed an illegal operation and will
> be shut down.
>
> This Computer Sony Vaio Pent. II
> never had any problems in 5 years
>
> crashing Netscape 4.7 and Explorer 5.5
>
> Thanks for Help >>> From any MVP's
>
> Bill mailto:american5092@juno.com
>
> .

---

  • Re: Virus?
    ... After a while, the whole Freedom program ... Explorer works and the online virus scan worked great, ... That should unlock the temp folder itself and let you do a dir on it. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Problem with Explorer.exe (Re-installing XP)
    ... Online Virus and Security Scan ... > Windows Explorer. ... In the first place, Shockwave is well ... >>What's more likely is that you have a virus or spyware. ...
  • Re: OT - Windows Explorer freezing
    ... Because he has a hardware fault or legitimate-software (by which I ... Any time you install any software, legit or otherwise, you run the ... OP says he uses Explorer extensively its difficult to explain ... you're saying it's a virus. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Help with missing DLL file
    ... so assumed that when I got the error on startup it was a windows file ... I keep getting this error message on startup and if so how do I get ... It's *probably* just a reference to the virus that you need to delete, ... I have run a full norton scan on numerous occasions and keep getting ...
  • Re: Windows Explorer connects to internet
    ... >> internet my Norton Anti Virus popup tells me that Windows ... >> Explorer is attempting to connect to the internet. ... Explorer access the net for various cosmetic purposes, and disabling it ...
    (microsoft.public.security)