Re: OS/ Windows 98 se Kernal32.dll

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 01/12/03

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:09:15 -0500

If it's really spelled kernal32.dll, that is not a Windows file and could be
a virus or a trojan.

No matter what it's spelled, you should make sure you have an antivirus
program installed with the latest updates for this week also installed.
www.grisoft.com is free antivirus.

Then you can try standard troubleshooting techniques, most notably a full
scandisk and defrag, allowing scandisk to search extensively for bad sectors
which could indicate a physically failing hard drive.

It could also just be that it's time to reinstall Windows, if it's been on
your computer more than 3 years.

You posted in the wrong group so you won't get the best advice here... this
is not an IIS or a security issue. Try also posting to another group. You
should also try searching www.google.com and also
www.google.com/advanced_group_search for the exact error message you are
receiving.

Other general things you can try are here:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#gpf

"Bill" <american5092@juno.com> wrote in message
> OS/ Windows 98 se >>I have disk upgrade from windows 95
> Problem ...
>
> Kernal32.dll 0167:bff87ede
> This program has performed an illegal operation and will
> be shut down.
>
> looked up microsoft error message for explorer and
> Iexplorer went to start > files > looked for *PWL and
> removed as instructed...
>
> Put in New MSuser....
>
> \Now I am completely errored out of all programs that have
> explorer, Iexplorer, control panel >>> you name it
>
> Now I get....
>
> MFC42.dll 0167:5F45b55
>
> This program has performed an illegal operation and will
> be shut down.
>
> This Computer Sony Vaio Pent. II
> never had any problems in 5 years
>
> crashing Netscape 4.7 and Explorer 5.5