Open Ports....How to block them all....?

From: Curt_C [MVP] (Software_AT_Darkfalz.com)
Date: 11/19/02

From: "Curt_C [MVP]" <Software_AT_Darkfalz.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:12:24 -0600

Ok, here's the situation. Win2k Server running IIS, AD, Exch2000, SQL2000

I keep it up to date with SP's and Patches but find that the server keeps
getting hacked and used as an "FTP" server with that stupid "Serv-U" app.
What can be done to secure this server so that this doesn't keep happening?
Is port blocking (leaving only bare necessity open) my only recourse? If so,
how?

I'm a developer, and know only basic fundamentals of OS/IIS security.....

Thanks

(P.S... I keep manually killing the app that gets installed and manually
deleting the files/app/dirs that the hack creates.)

Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
http://www.Darkfalz.com
..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...