Re: prompts for username password dialog box

From: Atrax _ (anonymous@devdex.com)
Date: 11/18/02

From:     Atrax _ <anonymous@devdex.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:05:00 -0800

integrated authentication *can* authenticate without a prompt - it'll
only ask for authentication if it can't authenticate you on its own.

I got bored with my old signature,
so I changed it

Atrax. MVP, IIS
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/

  • Re: disabling IIS login prompts
    ... if you using IIS authentication, by design, in local ... intranet zone, IE auto login for user, hence no prompt. ... >> In IIS on your internal web site disable all other authentication methods ...
  • Re: SharePoint password prompting
    ... Sharepoint has nothing to do with IIS -- it is a separate product built ... Default configuration uses Integrated authentication and should work that ... authentication, and digest authentication. ...
  • Re: How to deny access to domain shares from a workgroup computer
    ... If I take the example of Internet Explorer pass-through authentication: ... the authentication process is identical whether I am prompted and enter credentials, or whether my logged in credentials are passed-through ... It is just an authentication based on username and password; and authentication protocol designed to make it hard to intercept or decipher the authentication in transit; and a convenience mechanism for passing through under certain circumstances without an explicit prompt. ... By adding a prefix he is really saying "this version rather than that version of my account". ...
  • Re: How to deny access to domain shares from a workgroup computer
    ... It makes sense to me, now that you clearly state it, that there is no need to trust the machine where the authentication is coming from. ... If he truly knew nothing about the domain, it is somewhat unlikely for him to have a local account whose name matches that of a domain account, although this is possible. ... user name and password sufficient credentials, ... It is just an authentication based on username and password; and authentication protocol designed to make it hard to intercept or decipher the authentication in transit; and a convenience mechanism for passing through under certain circumstances without an explicit prompt. ...
  • Re: How to deny access to domain shares from a workgroup computer
    ... sufficient credentials, then it's fine. ... There isn't really any level of trust involved. ... If I take the example of Internet Explorer pass-through authentication: ... I think what you are describing is some changes in Prompt behaviour. ...