Re: IIS vs. Apache Security

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 11/14/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:22:07 -0500

"Jeff Cochran" <jcochran.nospam@naplesgov.com> wrote in message
news:3dd5f464.16380914@msnews.microsoft.com...

> All software is only as good as the admin running it. That's just a
> given. Plus, is your group concerned about IIS security or Windows
> security? Will Apache be run on Windows, Linux or something else? So
> far as I've seen, Websphere on AS/400 appears to have the fewest
> vulnerabilities. If you're talking overall security, look at some of
> the secure Linux options, such as En Guarde Linux, and stay away from
> the mainstream stuff like Red Hat that ships in a far more open
> configuration.

That's a good point.

OpenBSD is arguably one of the more secure ones, at least in the default
install. [I notice they recently changed their motto from "no remote holes"
to "Only one remote hole in the default install, in nearly 6 years!"] It
requires somewhat more knowledge since there's no X-windows gui, but then X
is one of the first things you'd want to consider disabling to secure a *nix
host. Be sure you know how to secure a *nix computer before you choose to
use it.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, he lp the cause
    ... supply of patches (Windows NT4/95/98) these systems should go offline ... Security is always a trade-off. ... This is how Linux and other ... Apache virtually owns the market with more than 60%. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
    ... OEM Windows XP Home goes for a bit under $100. ... >> secure than Home. ... Though this really has nothing to do with security. ... Microsoft counts on third-party developers to provide more ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
    ... >>> secure than Home. ... Though this really has nothing to do with security. ... >>> I, on the other hand, was speaking about overall Windows security, not ... I do believe that Microsoft could adjust their prices for the ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Any GIMP users (Linux)
    ... It's the latest high-end gaming graphics cards that might be issues. ... As for updates/upgrades and security -- far better than windows. ... the linux security model is simply much better than the Windows ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re : Re: Deploring *nix Philosophy ( Was Re : Splitting archives across floppies )
    ... Yes, I do love Linux. ... security scheme meets his/her needs.And when an user is added,whether the ... > I have wrecked floppies and CD's in Windows by removing them before the ... > enough about cars try putting oil into the car via the dipstick. ...
    (Fedora)