Re: Editing Certificate Service information

From: Alun Jones (alun@texis.com)
Date: 11/05/02

From: alun@texis.com (Alun Jones)
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 22:06:46 GMT

In article <77a801c28512$0fe3fb60$2ae2c90a@phx.gbl>, "Kevin C Kruger"
<kkruger@maned.com> wrote:
>>From the Certification Authority snap-in:
>
>If you right click the Certification server and click proerties, you =
>have the ability to "View Certificate". Under the detail tab if a bunch =
>of information. How do I edit that information if, for example, some =
>knuckle-head(ME!) mis-spelled something. I assume it's in the registry =
>but that's just a guess.

Since the contents of the certificate have been signed, altering the contents
would make the signature invalid (in that the signature would no longer agree
with the contents), and hence the certificate itself would no longer work.

To correct mis-spelled data in a certificate, you have to request a _new_
certificate with the correct information in it.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alun@texis.com
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | VISA/MC accepted.  NT-based sites, be sure to
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: SSL, domain name limit
    ... Irvin ) wrote: ... >be specified per certificate. ... I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that you could use "*.example.com" to ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for NT. ...
  • Re: IMAP OpenSSL and Virtual Host Environments?
    ... You have to acquire a certificate with multiple dNSName types. ... Texas Imperial Software | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for NT. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Server Digital Certificates - Options for dev/test envs
    ... >I have to acquiring about 7 128bit digital server certificates: ... and you can always add your CA as another trusted certificate root to ... NT-based sites, be sure to ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for NT. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Is SSL the only way to protect these data transmissions?
    ... you don't HAVE to go with a Certificate of Authority. ... And it's rather difficult to say how good Verisign really is at their job. ... Texas Imperial Software | Try WFTPD, ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for XP/2000/NT. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: security for website
    ... >You can have a wildcarded certificate ie a certificate ... >You can also have certicates supporting the new v3 subjectAltName extension ... Fax/Voice +1258-9858 | read details of WFTPD Pro for NT. ...
    (comp.security.misc)