Re: Configuring IIS to allow text forms

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 11/05/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:12:41 -0500

If it is a problem caused by the patch, you can confirm this by using the
correct switch to unzip the files in the patch to a folder [or read the
knowledgebase article to see the files contained in the patch], then try to
rename and replace all the patch files with older versions. If this starts
the guestbook working, try replacing the newer patch files one by one and
retrying IIS. When one of the files stops the guestbook from working, you
can call Microsoft and get free phone support for the problem if you tell
them that this is a problem caused by a MS security patch and is free per
the MS website. They may already have a fix, or they may be able to get a
fix for you. I had a problem like this with an IE security patch from
around February 2002 that broke an active X control that drew tables.

To find the correct switch option to extract the files, do Start, Run, type
CMD and click OK, then drag and drop the patch to the Command Prompt window
that appears, and add a space and /? to the end of the command, then
press Enter. The available options should appear.

"Hunter Cannon" <shcannon@qwest.net> wrote in message
> I have a guestbook on a website that worked just fine
> until I installed an IIS security update (Q327696). After
> I discovered that my guestbook no longer accepted new
> entries and my counters no longer worked, I removed
> (Q327696) hotfix. The counters work again, but the
> guestbook doesn't.
>
> Is there some configuration in IIS I need to re-enable the
> text form based guestbook?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Q329170 (MS02-070), Q327984 and slow logoffs
    ... customers can call 1-866-PCSaftey and mention they have an issue ... > by a handle leak in shlwapi32.dll' whereas this patch does not exist on ... > Computing' means that you also trust security patches not to break other ... The security patch should be re-released, ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • Re: "Save as" always says "not responding" folders wont open
    ... I went into Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel and do not have the ... This message is posted to a newsgroup. ... patch KB908531 is NOT installed on the machine? ... For a better workaround, until a new security patch is ready, read ...
  • Re: Microsoft criticized for silent patches
    ... security patch involves. ... You are assuming that every change is known beforehand. ... How many bugs do you think are marked as "fixed in passing", ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Q329414 MDAC patch - how do I know it is applied?
    ... > I ran the security patch on two computers running Windows ... > in that folder on my system. ... a machine with MDAC 2.5 will have a files: ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Q329414 MDAC patch - how do I know it is applied?
    ... >> I ran the security patch on two computers running ... >> in that folder on my system. ... Has the patch still been ... >appears that the two-digit number refers to the MDAC ...
    (microsoft.public.security)