Re: IIS Licensing

From: Phil Frisbie, Jr. (phil@hawksoft.com)
Date: 10/30/02

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:59:59 -0800
From: "Phil Frisbie, Jr." <phil@hawksoft.com>

Leigh wrote:

> I'm trying figure out the licensing scheme for win2K
> clients that attach to IIS5. Is it true that anonymous
> internet clients do not require a CAL and only
> authenticated users? So, if we were to have users login
> to get information, would they require CAL
> authentication?

Only if you use Windows authentication. You can provide your own login and
authentication; that is what many web sites do for shopping carts and other
similar uses.

Phil Frisbie, Jr.
Hawk Software
http://www.hawksoft.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Query-Based Distros for Sender Restriction
    ... It would probably be worth trouble-shooting why the authenticated users ... SMTP/IMAP to talk to the Exchange server. ... clients would be treated as "anonymous" senders unless they were ... configured for SMTP Authentication. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: default for requiring authentication 2003
    ... Don't forget about the "Allow anonymous enumeration of SAM Accounts and Shares" under the security -> Network Access setting. ... If this is disabled then the "everyone" permissions only applies to authenticated users. ... I have scripts that prep a machine post image and in doing so must connect to server shares. ... default for requiring authentication 2003 ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Random logon failure with ADAM Bind Proxy
    ... Adding Authenticated Users SID to readers group (which was enough ... I was mistaken about the username case sensitivity. ... > Could he also just bind to RootDSE in order to force an authentication? ... >> I have been using ADAM bind proxy to authenticate users against AD. ...
  • Re: Forms authentication design guidlines needed
    ... example) logging in adds an edit control or something, then using panels ... > I'm planning to use forms authentication for my project and would like to ... > authenticated users only. ...
  • Re: Mac OS X Server Mail Problem
    ... or you'll be a wide-open spam relay. ... - I'd only accept mail from authenticated users using one of the ... standard authentication schemes ... - make sure that no-one has a bonehead password; ...
    (comp.sys.mac.comm)