Re: SSL and multiple websites

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 10/28/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:38:47 -0500

Actually, I believe it is one cert per name, not IP. Also, I understand you
may be able to purchase certs now for wildcards such as *.companyname.com,
although some clients such as [I think] Windows 2000? without SP1 may need a
patch or get a non-fatal but annoying error message when the site is
accessed.

It is true that host headers do not work with SSL, but you can still use one
cert to host multiple web sites, as long as the name is the same or includes
a wildcard. To do this, use different port numbers. For example,
https://www.company.com and https://www.company.com:444 are two different
sites using the same cert.

To make it easier for web site users, you can even set up folders on your
web server using host headers for different web sites that redirect to the
two sites above. For example, http://www.company.com can redirect users
immediately to https://www.company.com while http://www2.company.com and/or
http://www.anothercompany.com can be set up to immediately redirect users to
http://www.company.com:444

I believe www.iisfaq.com/ssl has all the info on this and more.

"Consultant®" <consultant_mcngp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ssl does not work with host headers, it can only bind to the ip. you will
> need a separate ip and separate cert to host 2
>

> "JJ" <jazz2man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have only 1 IP, and hosting 2 virtual websites

Relevant Pages

  • RE: remote web access not working after windows update
    ... problem that is exibitiing some similar behavior. ... getting to the point where the IE client is prompted for the cert. ... I've also verified that there is no IP restrictions on any of the web sites ... apply the 42 or so critical updates and all web based access stopped. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Publishing issues with SubjectAltName SSL certs?
    ... SubjectAltName extension, which allows you to have two DNS FQDN's associated with the cert versus only one. ... ISA server could not establish an SSL connection with published server external.internet.com because the name on the SSL certificate used by the published server does not match the name of the server internal.internet.com, ... "Publishing Multiple Web Sites using a Wildcard Certificate in ISA ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • Re: Migrate SSL Cert From IIS5 to ISS6?
    ... Do you have multiple web sites? ... If so, how many require SSL? ... > Once I install the cert on the IIS server the associated website stopps ... > The cert was given to me by a knowledgeable web hosting company, ...
  • Re: Mulit-domain SSL cert installation
    ... Substitute multi-domain cert for wildcard cert in the documentation ... The number of domains of a certificate ... Use same IP and SSL Host Headers with wildcard certificate. ...
  • Re: Host headers in IIS
    ... We have the wildcard cert but have not been able to extend the main port 80 ... web apps the creation of the Web Apps creates my AAM but not my host headers. ... when I go into IIS 7 I cannot edit the host headers with the GUI. ...