Re: SSL and multiple websites

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 10/28/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:38:47 -0500

Actually, I believe it is one cert per name, not IP. Also, I understand you
may be able to purchase certs now for wildcards such as *.companyname.com,
although some clients such as [I think] Windows 2000? without SP1 may need a
patch or get a non-fatal but annoying error message when the site is
accessed.

It is true that host headers do not work with SSL, but you can still use one
cert to host multiple web sites, as long as the name is the same or includes
a wildcard. To do this, use different port numbers. For example,
https://www.company.com and https://www.company.com:444 are two different
sites using the same cert.

To make it easier for web site users, you can even set up folders on your
web server using host headers for different web sites that redirect to the
two sites above. For example, http://www.company.com can redirect users
immediately to https://www.company.com while http://www2.company.com and/or
http://www.anothercompany.com can be set up to immediately redirect users to
http://www.company.com:444