Re: Can't open attachments in Outlook Express 6.0

From: Karl Levinson [x y] MVP (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 10/25/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] MVP" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:54:26 -0400

"Phil Schickler" <phil1460@rcnchicago.com> wrote in message
news:d6a401c27bba$5a2fc9d0$2ae2c90a@phx.gbl...
> I recently reformatted my 40 Gig hard drive after
> being "KLEZ'd". I'm now running Windows 2000 Professional
> and have installed Norton Systemworks 2002 Antivirus on my
> machine.
>
> When I recieve an e-mail with an attachment with
> an ".eml"; ".htm"; ".csv"; ".PDF"; ".tif"; extension, when
> I try to open those files i get the following message -
> "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments
> in your mail:"
>
> I can open only a ".pps" extension. How do I turn off
> some switch that is preventing me from opening my e-mail
> attachments ???????

FYI it's considered polite to search a newsgroup before posting. This
question was answered a number of times very recently.

Information is available by reading the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q329570

Briefly, you can use one of the following two methods:

MODIFY THE UNSAFE FILE LIST
To keep being protected by the Outlook Express file security feature but
just remove certain file types from the Internet Explorer unsafe file list:

NOTE: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following
steps may be different on your computer.

1. In Control Panel, double-click Folder Options.
2. Click the File Types tab.
3. Click the file type that you want to allow, and then click Advanced.
4. Click to clear the "Confirm open after download" check box.

NOTE: You cannot clear the Confirm open after download check box to allow
certain file types. For example, by default, the Internet Explorer 6 unsafe
file list includes .exe files, and you cannot remove this file type from the
list.

OR, TURN OFF THE OPTION TO USE THE UNSAFE FILE LIST
To disable [and lose the protection of] the "Do not allow attachments to be
saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" security feature:
1. Start Outlook Express.
2. On the Tools menu, click Options.
3. Click the Security tab, click to clear the "Do not allow attachments to
be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" check box under Virus
Protection, and then click OK.

You might want to try the first method first, since the second method
disables this protection entirely.

[Thanks to Michel Gallant, Bill Sisk and others]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cant open attachments in Outlook Express 6.0
    ... :> "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments ... just remove certain file types from the Internet Explorer unsafe file ... Click the File Types tab. ... Protection, and then click OK. ...
  • Re: blocked attachments
    ... > on incoming e-mail cannot be opened because Outlook ... Click the File Types tab. ... To disable the "Do not allow attachments to be ... Protection, and then click OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: OE Lockout
    ... Click the File Types tab. ... To disable the "Do not allow attachments to be ... be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" check box under Virus ... Protection, and then click OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Blocked attachments
    ... Click the File Types tab. ... To disable the "Do not allow attachments to be ... be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" check box under Virus ... Protection, and then click OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: OE blocking incoming attachments in email
    ... Click the File Types tab. ... To disable the "Do not allow attachments to be ... saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" security feature: ... Start Outlook Express. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)