401 error for user that used to logon fine

From: Mat McMahon (mat_mcmahon@hotmail.com)
Date: 10/15/02

From: "Mat McMahon" <mat_mcmahon@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:10:30 +0100

Got a problem with 1 windows98 machine trying to access a secured website.

Client gets the authentication box (username, password, domain), enters data
correctly 3 times and then get 401 error. This seems to occur on this one
machine only but other machines are working. The client is using:

Windows 98 SE
IE 5.0

The strange thing is that this client has worked before and to my knowledge
nothing on the server has changed.

Other machines tried using same username and password work fine but most are
using IE5.01 or above. Oone thing I have noticed in the logs is (note I
have removed IP addresses and replaced with labels in <>):

2002-10-14 16:27:22 <CLNT IP> - W3SVC5 <SVR NAME> <IP ADDRESS> 80 GET /
- 401 5 4708 694 31 HTTP/1.1 <full site name>
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+5.0;+Windows+98;+DigExt) - -

Whats the +DigExt bit as I haven't seen this before....

Help appreciated,

Mat

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Smartcard authentication in a multi-tier application
    ... side where the user enters the username and password and on the server ... implementation as we need the domain username and password of the PIN- ... since SC authentication on the Windows client results in a Kerberos ... bootstrapped a secure authentication mechanism using Kerb and PKInit ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: UsernameTokenManager.AuthenticateUser
    ... That happens because you are using secure session. ... WSE only authenticates the client the first ... authentication and the key interchange is done once. ... > I'm currently using username over certificate with secure session. ...
  • RE: Internet Authentication
    ... the domain which has access to the internet through the ISA server. ... client tries to connect to the Internet via the ISA server, ... it will prompt for a username and a password, at that case the user can ... authentication to computers which are NOT attached to the domain? ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.clients)
  • UsernameTokenManager.AuthenticateUser
    ... I'm currently using username over certificate with secure session. ... Also calling SetClientCredential from the client with a new UsernameToken ... doesn't cause a re-authentication. ... I assume this is by design and that the authentication is being cached. ...
  • Re: How to log out when in windows authentication?
    ... The client caches the username and password based on the realm that the ... I'm not quite sure if this applies only to Basic authentication or Windows ...