Remote Certificate Server Management

From: Bryce Thornton (brycethornton@hotmail.com)
Date: 10/08/02

From: brycethornton@hotmail.com (Bryce Thornton)
Date: 8 Oct 2002 13:34:32 -0700

I've been trying to figure out how to remotely manage our Microsoft
Certificate Server running on Windows 2000 Server. I just found a
Microsoft Knowledge Base article that explains what needs to be done
to use the certificate snap-in to manage the server remotely.

Here's a link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q271470&

It basically says that Windows 2000 server comes configured
incorrectly and a registry tweak will fix the problem. I made the
change and it now allows admin accounts to administer remotely. The
article says that non-admin accounts that have been given the proper
permission on the CA should be able to administer the server remotely
using the snap-in. This doesn't seem to be working for me. Anyone
else run into this problem? I'm getting an "Access Denied" error.

I cannot have an administer account managing our certificates, there
is too much other important data on the server. Any help would be
apprectiated.

Thanks,
Bryce

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need help configuring Wireless Connection profile
    ... and I can only use the intel OR windows utility, not both at the same time. ... Windows authentication for all users,4129,LRG\ryanv,4149,Wireless WPA2 ... SMALL BUSINESS SERVER: ... STEP #1 Install Certificate Services ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Cannot sync Windows mobile with sbs2003 server
    ... Windows Mobile OS to the SBS2003 server at work so that he can read e-mails. ... What certificate do Microsoft recommend here, and where can this be bought? ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: Need help configuring Wireless Connection profile
    ... Now life is good in the Windows wireless world. ... now have a secure wireless setup within my small business server environment. ... "point" the info of the Radius authentication to your current Radius server. ... STEP #1 Install Certificate Services ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: EAP-TLS with windows CE
    ... credentials at the login prompt for Windows Server 2003 on the server ... The certificate is a public thing, ... When the server asks the Windows CE device to identify itself, ... I could easily steal your authentication information. ...
  • Re: EAP-TLS with windows CE
    ... Thanks for the quick response. ... Windows CE then prompts the wireless user for the ... to the AP which gets passed on to an authentication server (RADIUS or ... nothing to do with the contents of the certificate at all. ...