Is this a security issue?

From: Henry C (hfclarius@comcast.net)
Date: 10/03/02

From: "Henry C" <hfclarius@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 15:04:42 -0400

I am running Win NT (all patches/updates) desktop behind a firewall, with
Novel as the LAN software. I was using the optional Personal Web server for
testing some ASP pages until the IT people (who see my group as competition)
informed us there were security problems using PWS.
 I am looking for an objective reason why running PWS would or would not
compromise security. Is running PWS on a desktop behind a firewall a
security risk? Why? Talk down to me as I am alittle slow.

My sense is that if a hacker was good enough to breach the firewall, he
would be going after the servers and not wasting his/her talents with my
desktop.

Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is this a security issue?
    ... > informed us there were security problems using PWS. ... > I am looking for an objective reason why running PWS would or would not ... Is running PWS on a desktop behind a firewall a ... > My sense is that if a hacker was good enough to breach the firewall, ...
  • Re: Is this a security issue?
    ... > I am looking for an objective reason why running PWS would or would not ... >compromise security. ... Running anything is a risk. ... >My sense is that if a hacker was good enough to breach the firewall, ...
  • [REVS] Bypassing Client Application Protection Techniques
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... protection programs. ... * Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0 ... And we got actually nothing in the field of client application ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Recycler security issues on IIS server
    ... > latest upates to the server. ... > like to see the server put behind our firewall, ... other software, install all patches, IISlockdown, URLscan, use the correct ... the procedures you follow may vary depending on your security needs. ...
  • Why hasnt Symantec addressed nastier Messenger spoofs
    ... Norton / Symantec has been silent on whether Norton Internet Security ... DSL firewall will stop these kinds of pop-ups. ... major ISPs and broadband systems. ...
    (comp.security.misc)