Re: How IIS write his log files?

From: Chris Crowe [IIS MVP] (chris@iisfaq.com)
Date: 10/02/02

From: "Chris Crowe [IIS MVP]" <chris@iisfaq.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 06:36:02 +1200

I think that IIS open the log file and leaves it open for the duration of
the Log files life. Hence the events will not fire since the file is not
re-opened. You can test this by hitting the delete key on the log file and
you will get a sharing violation.

Chris

"Eric Paschoalick Chaves" <eric.paschoalick@gradiente.com> wrote in message
> Hi fellows,
>
> I'm trying to read IIS log files in real time. I have changed server
> configuration so it does not cache writing the log files imediatly and I'm
> using an application that monitor the Log dir using
> FindFirstChangeNotification/FindNexttChangeNotifications. However It seems
> that when IIS wrote (flush) his logs it does not generated those events,
the
> APIs are never triggered.
> Does anyone knows how IIS wrote his files?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Eric
>
> PS.: Sorry for the crossposting, but I could not figure out which one of
> those 3 NG was best to ask.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem with connect computer wizard
    ... Make sure the Windows XP client is pointing to the SBS 2003 server as ... Please collect the IIS metabase and the latest IIS log files further ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: SBS 2003 stand, useage report file
    ... Thanks for updates. ... IIS log, you can check the log files, we have no option to check it in ISA, ... IIS pages. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: OMA-ActiveSynch broken - HTTP_403 and Cat: 1000 error: 0 error
    ... I have emailed you the data and log files as requested. ... Go to Start/Administrative Tools/Internet Information Services (IIS) ... Under Virtual Directory tab, please double confirm the content of the ... Restart the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Problem with connect computer wizard
    ... Open IIS snap-in. ... Right click the Default Web site -> Connectcomputer and click Properties. ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... Stop the Default Website and rename the existing IIS log files under ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: RWW Fatal Error
    ... Error Message: Input string was not in a correct format. ... This issue can be caused by several factoring including RWW problem and IIS ... On the SBS 2003 Server open the Server Management console. ... You can zip these log files and send them as attachments to my mailbox ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)