Re: AOL and Integrated Security

From: Glenn Olsen (glennmolsen[nospam)
Date: 10/01/02

From: "Glenn Olsen" <glennmolsen[nospam]@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:38:54 -0400

Um... of course it'll work. Perhaps you misunderstood my question.
In IIS 5 you can set the access for a web site (or subdirectory of a site)
to "Integrated Security". As in your url, IIS will try to authenticate using
WIA, NTCR, and/or NTLM. Or, as the user sees it, Internet Explorer prompts
you for an account and password (and, optionally, a domain). If the user
supplies the appropriate credentials as defined through the MMC snap-in for
IIS, he's in.
I use this all the time. I have one "user" who says it's not working for
them and they happen to be on AOL. I can't figure out why this would make a
difference. They are using IE 5+.

"Michael Laing" <mdonlinelaing@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Glenn,
>
> I think a better way of looking at this is, take AOL out of the mix and
> simply realize that Integrated Windows Authentication isn't going to work
> over the Internet itself. Integrated authentication is based on the
> currently logged-on user's credentials being authenticated against a
domain
> controller within the domain. This article outlines this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q258063
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Michael Laing
> Microsoft Developer Support
> Internet Information Server
>
> ***********************
> >>Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is an online
> account name for newsgroup participation only.<<

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use.
> 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
> ***********************
> --------------------
> | From: "Glenn Olsen" <glennmolsen[nospam]@hotmail.com>
> | Subject: AOL and Integrated Security
> | Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:17:02 -0400
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.security
> |
> | Can AOL subscribers using IE 5+ access web sites secured with IIS 5's
> | Integrated Security option? I have searched in vain for a url that will
> | specify a definite answer, though I have found several that lead me to
> | suspect that AOL subscribers cannot. According to MS TechNet,
Integrated

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/default.asp?url=/WINDOWS2
> | 000/en/server/iis/htm/core/wcwdcp.htm
> |
> | A url that explicitly lays this out would be helpful as I have a pesky
> | client to appease on this.
> |
> | Thanks in advance,
> |
> | Glenn Olsen

Relevant Pages

  • Time Warners AOL May Dump Google Search Engine, Use Microsoft
    ... Time Warner's AOL May Dump Google Search Engine, Use Microsoft ... Time Warner Chief Executive Richard Parsons said this week he is ...
    (alt.internet.search-engines)
  • RE: w3.org
    ... Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 ... Windows XP SP2 ... AOL Coach v1.0 ... Microsoft Office Standard 2003 ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Do U want me ?, Got money !
    ... AOL May Become Object Of Microsoft, Yahoo, Google's Desires ... The future of Time Warner Inc's embattled online unit AOL now ... Meanwhile, Microsoft, if it continues to refuse to deal with Yahoo's ...
    (soc.culture.vietnamese)
  • Re: Payment for Beta Testing
    ... >>> To all of my friends, ... > and AOL are now ... > Microsoft and AOL are ... >>>an e-mail beta test. ...
  • Re: AOL and Integrated Security
    ... IWA will not work over the internet, in which case the user will need to ... AOL, however there are known issues with some proxy environments and NTCR. ... | Subject: Re: AOL and Integrated Security ... |> Hi Glenn, ...