Re: AOL and Integrated Security

From: Glenn Olsen (glennmolsen[nospam)
Date: 10/01/02

From: "Glenn Olsen" <glennmolsen[nospam]@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:38:54 -0400

Um... of course it'll work. Perhaps you misunderstood my question.
In IIS 5 you can set the access for a web site (or subdirectory of a site)
to "Integrated Security". As in your url, IIS will try to authenticate using
WIA, NTCR, and/or NTLM. Or, as the user sees it, Internet Explorer prompts
you for an account and password (and, optionally, a domain). If the user
supplies the appropriate credentials as defined through the MMC snap-in for
IIS, he's in.
I use this all the time. I have one "user" who says it's not working for
them and they happen to be on AOL. I can't figure out why this would make a
difference. They are using IE 5+.

"Michael Laing" <mdonlinelaing@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Glenn,
>
> I think a better way of looking at this is, take AOL out of the mix and
> simply realize that Integrated Windows Authentication isn't going to work
> over the Internet itself. Integrated authentication is based on the
> currently logged-on user's credentials being authenticated against a
domain
> controller within the domain. This article outlines this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q258063
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Michael Laing
> Microsoft Developer Support
> Internet Information Server
>
> ***********************
> >>Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is an online
> account name for newsgroup participation only.<<

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use.
> 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
> ***********************
> --------------------
> | From: "Glenn Olsen" <glennmolsen[nospam]@hotmail.com>
> | Subject: AOL and Integrated Security
> | Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:17:02 -0400
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.security
> |
> | Can AOL subscribers using IE 5+ access web sites secured with IIS 5's
> | Integrated Security option? I have searched in vain for a url that will
> | specify a definite answer, though I have found several that lead me to
> | suspect that AOL subscribers cannot. According to MS TechNet,
Integrated

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/default.asp?url=/WINDOWS2