RE: IIs Basic authentication and a Windows XP client problems (SP1 problem)

From: David Valera (david@altavista.nl)
Date: 09/26/02

From: David Valera <david@altavista.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:16:05 +0200

Tim Greene says...
> It looks like you still have Integrated Windows Authentication enabled for
> that site. What happens if you disable it?

I have Integrated Windows Authentication enabled for the website, but
not for the webfolder.

I tested again setting the authentication method of the website to basic
as well.

The results I am getting now are completely different than before. Now
basic authentication headers are sent, even if the website has
integrated windows authentication and the webfolder only basic
authentication.

The solution for what it seems a "good" working Windows XP client is
quite simple but frustrating: Rebooting the Windows XP machine!

However, there is still something not working properly, and it seems to
be related to the problems I was having.

If I add a network connection through "my network places" in windows XP,
I always get the icon for "shared folder". When I hoover over the icon I
see "\\amsdevint\webdav" instead of "http://amsdevint/webdav" which is
what I typed. Double clicking on the icon results in an error because it
cannot find the shared webdav folder on the server (obviously).

I have made a screenshot of "my network places" with the different icons
(one added through my network places, and the other through Word 2002).
Notice the name of the connection to the webfolder (\\amsdevint\webdav).
I uploaded the file with the name mynetwork.gif. On the screenshot, the
one named webdav on amsdevint does not work and points to \\amsdevint
\webdav (while I entered http://amsdevint/webdav in the wizard).

As for now we have the workaround of opening a file through Word 2002
and specifying "http://amsdevint/webdav" as location and clicking on
open.
The other icon called webdav on amsdevint (2) is the one that is added
automatically after you use word 2002 to connect to the server

Now we need to get the "normal" way of creating the network connection
through "my network places" to work...

I am a little bit closer to get it all to work, but after solving the
problem with Windows XP and basic authentication by just rebooting the
system...I am exhausted :-)

I realise this new problem is not related to basic authentication
anymore...maybe I'll have to start a new thread abou this.

greetings and thanks for all the help so far

--
David Valera

Relevant Pages

  • Microsoft IIS Integrated Authentication
    ... Microsoft's IIS server allows for an integrated authentication method ... I have two separate Active Directory forests; one in an external network ... name is used in the Integrated Windows Authentication method as the user ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: HELP PLEASE The request failed with HTTP status 401: Access Denied.
    ... Heck I even took the ip of the webserver and made my laptop the ... I have noticed that under my laptop config of IIS ... > Try changing to Integrated Windows Authentication on IIS instead of basic ... >> We have basic authentication on through IIS. ...
  • IIS logs for Exchange/OMA Access
    ... I'm monitoring my IIS logs in awstats, and I see high failure counts ... Anonymous Access: Unticked ... Integrated Windows Authentication: Ticked ... Basic Authentication: Ticked ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Authentication issues
    ... I am getting what I believe is some strange behaviour...I have tested the following combinations (IIS Anonymous access is off in all of these): ... I am a little jumpy about using only Basic Authentication for this application, as I think we need a little more security than that. ... I suppose my basic question is why does this work when the user is forced to login and not work when the username is found using Integrated Windows authentication? ... What is different between the two authenticated users? ...
  • Re: SMTP Internal
    ... like relay? ... > There should be 3 boxes checked: Anonymous Access, Basic authentication, ... > Integrated Windows Authentication. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)