Re: Convince IIS to hide ODBC errors from the client

From: Ken Schaefer (kenRMV@THISadOpenStatic.com)
Date: 09/24/02

From: "Ken Schaefer" <kenRMV@THISadOpenStatic.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:42:02 +1000

Do you really want to still be using IDC/HTX?!?

Anyway, you can change a setting in IIS if you want:
Right-click on the website in question in the IIS MMC and choose
"Properties". Goto "Home Directory", click on "Configuration" towards the
bottom, switch to the debugging tab, and there is a radio option (Send
Detailed Error Messages to the Client -vs- Send "xxx" canned message to the
client). Choose the canned message, and enter whatever message you want
displayed.

Cheers
Ken

"alicemet" <asbarrus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> This should be a simple task, but it's stumped me.  I don't personally
> do any programming with HTML/IDC/HTX pages, etc.  But I have a web
> server connected to an MSSQL database that uses IDC and HTX pages,
> talking to various ODBC DSN's, that communicate with my database.
>
> If there are any errors with that communication layer, they are passed
> to the client.  IE: login failed, tempdb full, etc.  They look like:
>
> Error Performing Query
> [State=37000][Error=170][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
> Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '='.
>
> When a bug like this creeps in, I don't want it to be displayed to the
> client.  I want to hide it and display a more friendly message
> (primarily for security reasons).
>
> Where would I begin tinkering to solve this problem?
>
> Aaron

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IIS 5.0
    ... so the client cannot update the Address bar. ... Kristofer Gafvert - IIS MVP ... "default document doesn't display in url" <default document doesn't display ... uploading pages with an asp script "huge asp upload" I have configured this ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Convince IIS to hide ODBC errors from the client
    ... If there are any errors with that communication layer, ... to the client. ... Error Performing Query ... I want to hide it and display a more friendly message ...
  • Re: Error while uploading big files
    ... When you try to upload a 5 MB file, IIS will not handle the request since ... the maximum post size is set to 4 MB. ... You can install a client size activeX which reads the file size from the ... like this) and to display the same page to select further attachment. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: Error while uploading big files
    ... When you try to upload a 5 MB file, IIS will not handle the request since ... the maximum post size is set to 4 MB. ... You can install a client size activeX which reads the file size from the ... like this) and to display the same page to select further attachment. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: Text terminal rendering design
    ... The client is an application with need of a UI that works by ... what symbols it needs to display and the coordinates at which each ... In the case of most text terminals, a symbol is represented by a single ... complex conversion operations to put the symbol into a form that the ...
    (comp.object)