ODBC error on ASP page when accessing file on other server

From: qztm51 (leslie.lemish@eds.com)
Date: 08/02/02

From: "qztm51" <leslie.lemish@eds.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:02:30 -0700

I am receiving the following error when my asp page tries
to access an Excel file being used as a database.

[Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid
path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly
and that you are connected to the server on which the file
resides.

The environment is as follows:
Server A - web server
Server B - file server

Server A has a drive mapped to a shared directory on
Server B where the excel file is located.

Server A has a system DSN pointing to the excel file.

When I am logged into the web server (Server A) with an
account that has administrative rights on the network, the
asp page performs as desired. If I log off of the web
server (Server A), the error above occurs on the page. If
I copy the excel file to the c: drive of the web server,
and set up the DSN to point to the file on the c: drive of
the web server (Server A), the asp page performs as
desired. The permissions on the excel file when it is on
the file server (Server B) are set with the Everyone group
having read, write access. Does anyone have any thoughts
on this?

Thanks,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to wirte Web based application for WinCE.NET ?
    ... Windows CE has a web server that supports server side scripting. ... write an ISAPI extension or an ASP page that runs on the CE device and ... ISAPI extensions are written in C and ASP pages are ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development)
  • Re: ASP Script
    ... we now refer to as "Classic ASP". ... you need a web server that supports this technology. ... on your web server to enable it to be able to run classic asp scripts. ... have any .ASP server side script. ...
  • Re: Using Access to access an sql database on a webserver
    ... a open sql port is not available. ... that very same web server has complete and free rein to access those files, ... Well, yes, if you are taking about ASP pages hosted on that site...right? ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: testing ASP pages with Windows Front Page
    ... You must have a web server installed in order to view any server-side scripting, such as ASP, ... Of course I had to install Personal Web Server to it in order to do the job. ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.addins)
  • Re: how do I link to a spreadsheet without opening a browser window?
    ... Excel file automatically on the server in ASP, ... set the content-type at the top of your ASP file to ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)