Re: one word url.

From: karl [x y] (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 07/23/02

From: "karl [x y]" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:56:27 -0400

I can think of two ways to do this. First, on the workstation's TCP/IP
properties or on the DHCP server, set up default DNS suffixes to be checked.
[I believe this should not be necessary if the domain suffix you are using
is the same one as the one that is set up in the TCP/IP properties on the
computer, assuming that a host name is set up] Second, the less attractive
option is that you could use a hosts file on the local computers.

"concern" <maquinaloca@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have IIS 5.0 on a server and I need to set up my DNS so
> that a user can just type one word i.e. "web" to get to
> our intranet site. Can anyonme tell me how to do this. I
> created a cname but the user still has to type
> web.ourdomain.com. I just want them to type "web".
>
> Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A little FYI
    ... assigned to a network adapter when it is configured to receive an assigned ... :> and that no DHCP server is available. ... It does *not* mean your TCP/IP stack is hosed! ... one has to rebuild the machine to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: DHCP And Security
    ... a foreign computer on your network will be able to use your ... DHCP server and obtain basic TCP/IP connectivity, and there is no way to ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • RE: Problems with logon script - XP/2003
    ... Do you have multiple network cards on that computer? ... If not you have to create a Static IP on the problem computers network card/cards. ... If you do have a DHCP server check your TCP/IP settings and make sure everything is correct on the network card/cards. ...
  • Re: Windows XP Workgroup
    ... actually in Local area connection in Internet protocol (TCP/IP) I choose ... obtain an IP address automatically but now when I checked IPCONFIG I ... discoverd that there is IP address infront of autoconfiguration IP address ... >> I don't have dhcp server and even I don't have a server at all it is only ...