RE: Multiple entries of the same user under "Current Sessions"

From: Karl Westerholm [MS] (karlwestonline@microsoft.com)
Date: 07/06/02

From: karlwestonline@microsoft.com (Karl Westerholm [MS])
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 23:40:17 GMT

Greetings,

   How do your users typically connect to the server? Through browsers,
FTP clients, or through the command-line? Depending on which method is
used, you may well see multiple entries in the 'current sessions' list that
do in fact reflect the way in which the user connected. (i.e., they have
several sessions open simultaneously.)

For example:

- If I fire up a command-prompt & connect to an IIS5/FTP server via an
authenticated account, for the duration of that session I see only a single
username listed in the 'current sessions' window.

- If I leave one command-window open & connected, and then fire up a second
cmd-window and connect with the identical account name, I will see now 2
entries for the same user. In this case, for valid reasons. (i.e., I have
multiple connections for that use open)

- In another example, if I fire up a copy of IE6 and hit 'ftp://localhost'
(which then prompts me to authenticate as user) I will see 2 connections,
also from the same user. Again, this is inherent in the way that browser
is connecting and is not necessarily indicative of a problem.

- Other 3rd-party FTP clients may have different behaviors, perhaps
allowing reconnections under same username/password to download subsequent
files in a new session...which could also lead to multiple entries in
'current sessions'.

   One other thing to keep in mind: You may have a user listed as
'connected' in that dialog box who is not actually physically connected on
their end anymore. The FTP service has a default timeout of 900 seconds so
if an FTP client/user has not disconnected gracefully in that time of no
activity...they may still appear in the list of active sessions. (for
example, if a user connected briefly but then experienced a machine crash
or network disconnectivity)

     Regards,
     -->Karl

“Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is our online
account name for newsgroup participation only.”

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risk for your use. © 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

--------------------
| From: "Andre" <aundraw@bellsouth.net>
| Sender: "Andre" <aundraw@bellsouth.net>
| Subject: Multiple entries of the same user under "Current Sessions"
| Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:39:05 -0700

| We have an FTP site that does not allow Anonymous access.
| When I look under currrent seesions, i see the same users
| connected with multiple entries. Each entry has a
| different time stamp.
|
| Multiple entries of the same user under "Current Sessions"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: maximum number of sessions
    ... I am interested in the maximum number of sessions not connections. ... I.e I can have 15 mapped drives from one machine to ... We have 6 pcs connecting to a 7 pc we call our server. ...
  • Re: Exchange 2003 SMTP Current Sessions
    ... Also, I was asking really about the SMTP sessions themselves, long before ... Use a RBL if you must, but pick the one you use with care. ... RBLs don't block spam, they block connections. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: shared printer WinXP Workgroup
    ... Use the following method to avoid null session connections that have a high session idle time and that have opened a handle to the named pipe \PIPE\spoolss. ... "John John" wrote: ... To kill all the sessions at once you can stop the server service These are pretty crude and inconvenient ways of trying to cope with the problem. ...
  • Re: tcp connection limit exceeded msgs
    ... During a normal day we have up to 220 sessions, maybe 30-50 jobs running. ... 95% of the sessions are network vt-mgr connections. ... To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * ...
    (comp.sys.hp.mpe)