Re: Permissions for FTP service running on W2K member server

From: Stephen L Nicoud (nicouds@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/23/02

Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:55:13 -0700
From: Stephen L Nicoud <nicouds@hotmail.com>

Chuck wrote:

> I have a Windows 2000 member server that is running IIS. I have created
> several FTP virtual directories that use local accounts for NTFS
> permissions. When I try to connect to the FTP server, the username and
> passwords are accepted but I cannot connect to the virtual directory. If I
> change the directories' NTFS permissions to use the domain accounts instead
> of local accounts, it works properly. In both cases, I have tried using
>
> What is going on? I don't want to use the domain accounts as the username
> and password are sent in clear text. I would prefer to use local guest
> accounts with limited access privileges.
>
> Any advice is appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Chuck

Make sure the local accounts have the "Log on locally" right on the FTP
server.

--
Reply to the newsgroup.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FTP on IIS6.0 Not Working
    ... >I had virtual directories set up for an FTP site on our server and they were ... They we upgraded the server from Windows 2000 Server to ... >updated my FTP virtual directories got wiped out. ... >I am running ISA Server 2000, but this was set up before the upgrade to ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • FTP on IIS6.0 Not Working
    ... I had virtual directories set up for an FTP site on our server and they were ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • Re: FTP server limitations
    ... you can avoid Virtual Directories in FTP ... Virtual Directories were evented before Junction ... > accounts on the server. ... > and creating additional local user accounts and I was wondering what the ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: FTP on IIS6.0 Not Working
    ... can you login locally using ftp.exe -> ftp localhost? ... can you login via ftp.exe to your IIS server? ... > I had virtual directories set up for an FTP site on our server and they were> working fine. ... > I guess IIS had a little trouble updating at the time and when it got> updated my FTP virtual directories got wiped out. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • Re: FTP server (W2k)
    ... How many Virtual Directories are we talking about? ... There is no predetermined limit for the number of local user accounts and I ... will be the spec of your server as each of these will take up hard disk ... The main thing to keep in mind when using FTP is that it is an inherently ...