Windows 7 to XP migration: Security Issue

Hello All,

I am working on a migration project from Win XP to Win 7

I am facing a problem on windows 7 when I start an interactive
application from a custom service with a different user name.

We a have windows service (named as “MyAppHostingService”) which is
running under SYSTEM account and is configured as Automatic startup.
This service is responsible to start and monitor several interactive
applications. This service starts all the interactive apps under a
different user (Lets say “MyApplicationUser”) by using
CreateProcessAsUser API. MyApplicationUser is not a admin user.

When I login under any general user without admin rights,
MyAppHostingService will start automatically under the SYSTEM account
and will start several frontend applications under
“MyApplicationUser”. Now when I go the task manager, I have the
following problems:

1) Under the process tab I can see all the application running
under “MyApplicationUser” although I have not logged in as
“MyApplicationUser” or as admin user
2) I am able to kill all application running under
“MyApplicationUser”

The same scenario under windows xp the user is able to see the
application but cant kill it as the logged in user does not have
rights to do so.

Any idea why this could happen and how can I solve this issue.

Regards,
Mahesh

  • Re: OT: Linux questions
    ... Next time I have to set up another user and change their password under Windows I'll be sure to take the time to curse each mouse click in turn. ... I'll curse twice as I switch to an admin user. ... My position was (and, to be honest, largely remains) one of complete ambiguity. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: No Admin Access
    ... Folder permissions ... Here my issue is when I try to login as an admin user I am not able to get any admin rights (No installation rights, Unable to change date and time, Unable to start / stop some services, No disk magmt access, No event viewer security access and no Device manager access. ... If you don't have a backup image, then flatten the system and manually clean-install Windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: RWW failing for admin users
    ... > log in as an admin user you get just the top banner and an error "The ... When Windows was installed, ... > locale was Finnish, which uses a comma as the decimal separator; ... Steve Foster [SBS MVP] ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: help only guest user
    ... Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone ... > after installing the service pack 2, I do now get a login screen for user. ... > there is no admin user and I can no do certain things like install some ... I have now another shut down screen (more like the windows Me ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Downgrade Pro to XP Home
    ... in fact that is what I did when I upgraded from Windows 98 to XP. ... Everything that I download that is in support of the ... Then I install from there. ... IMMEDIATELY create another admin user. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)