Re: network share security - mscorlib

Louis

Thanks for the info.

My opinion has been that CASPOL takes effect on the machine it is executed
on.
So, I have believed that it needs to be run on the workstation, rather than
the Server.

After you have finished your testing, can you please post your conclusions?

Thanks

Barry

--
Barry Flynn
Complete Solutions DG

"louis" <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Barry -
Thanks for the suggestion. I check my system and the item you suggested
was
already un-checked. I believe I fixed the problem several days ago by
running the caspol tool on the fileserver itself. I had been running it
on
the workstation. We are still testing to see if this solved the problem.

"Barry Flynn" wrote:

Louis

I have had a similar experience to yours - although possibly not exactly
the
same.
Some time ago, I issued a CASPOL command on a machine, and was then able
(a) write VB 2005 code where the source code was on the network, and (b)
run
the resulting .exe's from the network.

Then I lost both abilities.
I hadn't used that machine to do DotNet stuff for a couple of months -
and
when I did try I found I had security problems in both areas.

A few days later, in Windows Explorer, I right-clicked a zip file on the
network, and got a message about "this page has an unspecified potential
security risk".

I looked that up on the web, and found a suggestion about changing an IE
setting.
In Internet Explorer,
- go to Internet Options / Security
- click on Local Intranet
- Click the Sites button
A window should pop up saying "automatically detect intranet?"
Turn OFF that "main" option, but leave the other three options checked.

A "help link" in that area of Internet Explorer appeared to confirm that
changing that setting was a good idea.

It seems to have fixed my problems.

Barry

--
Barry Flynn
Complete Solutions DG

"louis" <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have used the caspol tool and tried to set security for the network
share
but still getting errors containing:
"System.Security.Permissions.UIPermission mscorlib" and
"System.InvalidOperationException".
The program is a small exe created with VB 2005 - runs fine in the IDE,
runs
fine on another Win XP pro machine (with the exe on a network share on
Win
2003). The PC it gives the errors on is my development PC - again,
only
when
trying to run from the network share. Since the "mscorlib.dll" is on
my
local PC, there must be some setting that caspol does not fix. I have
researched this to death and tried all sorts of settings to no avail.
This
is really way too difficult for client/server applications.

  • Re: Automation Excel 2003
    ... I tried "caspol -s off", ... The source code of my application is on the network. ... saying that the security level isn't correct (partial trust security ... the button that drives Excel works fine. ...
  • Problem with network share FullTrust since IE7 install
    ... I setup FullTrust on a network share using caspol so I could maintain my ... been dropped and I cannot reinstate the FullTrust using caspol command line. ... Choose the condition type for this code group: ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Re: System.IO.File.Exists behaves differently when run from a mapped drive
    ... having permissions to run the assembly from the network with the improper ... security policies. ... > run from the network. ... Does a strongly named exe with caspol run on it behave ...
  • System.IO.File.Exists behaves differently when run from a mapped drive
    ... My program was strongly named and had caspol -af run on it to allow it to ... Run from my H:\ (network) drive, File.Exists says the file doesn't exist. ... Does a strongly named exe with caspol run on it behave ...
  • Release & Access (sn, caspol) Qs
    ... local application exe file for network from a ... has network path. ... assembly makes my wizard work void. ... The board has told me about caspol, however, need to make ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)