Re: Cannot write to event log when web application uses forms authentication

Hello,

to troubleshoot this kind of problems I suggest you start regmon or processmonitor from microsoft (formerly sysinternals). This gives you the ability to track down permission issues.

Kind regards,
Henning Krause

<ndrw_cheung@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e648bb08-b081-48a2-92be-92e1f87c9576@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi. I have created a web application. When using authentication
mode="Windows", writing to the events log (which I created in a
console application that was run as administrator.) works ok.
However, when I use forms authentication, it doesn't write to the
events log anymore. There are no error messages on the page displayed,
nor in the application log or security log. I have tried the following
(individually and separately), but none of it works (For your
information, the newly created event log name is "MyApp", the
eventSource is also "MyApp").

1. For the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
\Eventlog\MyApp, I have granted full control for the user "ASPNET".

Then grant the permission on the file C:\windows\system32\config
\MyApp.evt to be full control for ASPNET.

2. For the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\MyApp, I
have granted full control for the user "NETWORK SERVICE".

Then grant the permission on the file C:\windows\system32\config
\MyApp.evt to be full control for NETWORK SERVICE.

3. Append the value of the CustomSD key in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\MyApp
with

(A;;0x3;;;NS)

4. Add in <identity impersonate="true"/> in the web.config
and then append the value of the CustomSD key in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\MyApp
with

(A;;0x3;;;AU).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Andrew

  • Cannot write to event log when web application uses forms authentication
    ... However, when I use forms authentication, it doesn't write to the ... events log anymore. ... \MyApp.evt to be full control for ASPNET. ... and then append the value of the CustomSD key in ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: Forcing Ownership of files
    ... >> without that right IF they have Full Control. ... > have explicit permission to do whatever they like with the content of ... > when I first tuned up here from a Novell server to a Windows 2000 server ... Now they are worried about security so ...
  • Re: ISA Server Error
    ... from NETWORK SERVICE to Local Server for the logon. ... The default permission should be ... Administrators: Full Control ... make a rule change or anything. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • Re: PM Security Issue
    ... gives me permission to open projects in Microsoft Project Professional. ... Categories control what you can do it to. ... in which I am a team member, and in which my resources are team members. ... When the My Projects category is included in the Project Managers group, ...
    (microsoft.public.project.pro_and_server)
  • RE: IE Hosted UserControl - javascript interaction not working.
    ... To access public properties or invoke public methods of the control from ... Information window, select the checkbox before the 'Make assembly ... need assign the control assembly embeded in the web page the permission to ... Code Group' window, select the 'Create a new code group' option and type a ...