Re: RSA - Public vs. Private Keys

maybe this helps:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/01/SecurityBriefs/default.aspx

---------------------------------------
Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

I'm running into a dilemma. I"m trying to encrypt a message on one
machine, and have it decrypted on another machine (say, the target
application). But, I don't want the keys to be 'hacked' very easily.
This is a small amount of info, and so I thought RSA sounded
appropriate.

My idea was to take a message, encrypt it using RSA, and dumping the
BASE64 to a flat file (or config file, actually), and then having the
application (which is not connected on the net) to read the file,
decrypt the message and then utilize the info in it. This is a
one-time message.

Problem is, is that RSA provider seems to only want to Encrypt with a
Public Key and Decrypt with a Private key. Now, the RSA standard (P
and Q) doesn't require this, right?! I should be able to swap these,
as in, encrypt with a private key and decrypt with the public one. I
can't send the private key to the target machine, since when you
export parameters, you *must* include the public key as well, even
though you don't need it!

Has anyone experienced this? Or have a work around?

"Take a simple message, encrypt it asymmetrically, and have the
message receievd on the target machine without that machine being able
to alter the message with any information it has)"?

  • Re: Decrypt RSA using D
    ... We are planning on using RSA with WSE, so it only uses RSA to encrypt the symmetric key used for the SOAP body--the same scenario you outlined below. ... owner of the private key can decrypt it. ... always embedded inside the CSP key container and never passed out into the ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Re: rsa encryption with stonybrook modula
    ... > can't wait to get a solution - thank you for the insides and your ... RSA cannot know what the destination ... Encrypt that. ... When you decrypt take the last byte and if the buffer bytes are not the ...
    (comp.lang.modula2)
  • Re: Converting SSH2-RSA key to RSA numbers
    ... What I have in hand is a basic RSA ... the world can decrypt your messages. ... to encrypt and only you decrypt. ... >the key in an OpenSSH SSH2 RSA private key file into the aforementioned ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: The question about the RSA cryptography.
    ... I can't speak for RSA, or whatever software is being used to encrypt the ... When the server receive ... he ready to use his private key to decrypt it. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Encrypting symmetric keys
    ... Is RSAPKCS1KeyExchangeFormatter only meant to be used on valid ... and want to encrypt both the Key and IV values. ... but when I try to decrypt (after getting RSA csp with private key for same public key of course) ... i recover the Key value properly, but get bad data error in trying to decrypt the IV. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)