Re: Connecting to MS Exchange 2003 using POP3 with SSL fails

Thank you. Meanwhile the problem is solved. The reason was a very silly one:
my Exchange server had no certificates installed.
Goetz Heller
Dr.Heller Information Management

"Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" wrote:

glad this was helpful for you.

Have you tried to enable tracing for ? does this give you more
pointers. Maybe also try a different SslProtocols value.

Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor

I order to automate some mail processing I need to access POP3 servers
over a secure channel. A couple of MSDN articles recently written by
Dominick Baier was helpful to me when I implemented a solution in C#
with the .NET Framework 2.0. It works fine as far as I don't try to
connect to an MS Exchange 2003 server: In this case, the connection is
terminated by the server. Here is the somewhat simplified code:

class CMyPOPClient
TcpClient _Channel = null;
NetworkStream _Stream = null;
SslStream _SSLStream = null;
void secureConnect(String strHost, Int32 iPort)
_Channel = new TcpClient());
_Channel.Connect(strHost, iPort);
_Stream = _Channel.GetStream();
_SSLStream = new SslStream(
_SSLStream.AuthenticateAsClient( // <== here a
// is thrown with error code
I should mention that the code is running on a WinXPSP2 PC which is in
the same Microsoft domain as the Win 2003 Server on which MS Exchange
is running.

Actually I don't need my code being capable to connect to MS Exchange
2003 but I don't like to see it fail. Has anybody an idea what is
expected by MS Exchange 2003?

Relevant Pages