Re: How to encrypt/decrypt a file

Let me clarify a bit. The clients don't need to be able to decrypt the
file. I am encrypting it for two reasons. One is so that if the file
was to fall in to the wrong hands then they would not be able to make
any sense of it. The second reason is that if the file is encrypted
hopefully the user's would be less likely to open up the file in a text
editor and mess around with it. The requirements for the application
are that the users should be able to download their data from the
program and keep it in a file on their computer. They might want to
email it to a colleague if they wanted to share their data with someone
else. Whoever has the file has to go back to the ASP.NET application
and upload the file to continue working. I am just concerned that
people are going to attempt to open up the file in a text editor and
see what's inside. The underlying data is XML. Since I couldn't
figure out any way to really "lock" the file I figured that encrypting
it would at least discourage people from editing the file in a text
editor. So the clients don't need to decrypt it. The server just
needs to be able to encrypt and decrypt the file all by itself.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Corey

  • Re: How to encrypt/decrypt a file
    ... If neither the clients nor the application that the clients use can decrypt ... I am encrypting it for two reasons. ... editor and mess around with it. ... So the clients don't need to decrypt it. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • RE: Problem while decrypting
    ... Decrypt will decrypt ANY GARBAGE ... in CBC mode a block error affects only two ... simple hash: attach the hash value of the original data at the end, ... > i was encrypting the data using the pass phrase. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Using CryptoStream
    ... You don't bother spending time trying to decrypt something that cannot possibly be encrypted ... As soon as the decrypted stream can be recognized as invalid, ... The main difference is that you have to do this verification anyway, so the work to implement the code is already done, whereas adding a signature just adds to the code you have to include. ... I mentioned decrypting as the only reliable way to know whether you can avoid _encrypting_ something. ...
  • ACT MASK DriveEncription Trashed My Drive
    ... ACT MASK DriveEncription Trashed My Drive ... for my number which I put in and my mistake was encrypting my drive ... DiskEncryption 4.01 Download ... decrypt it first, then update to 4.01 ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: use Windows EFS to encrypt access .mdb file???
    ... Your backend database is MS Jet, ... I'm no expert on EFS, but I think that it causes data to be encrypted ... extra layers in the application (hence "Encrypting File System"). ... Finally, if your application needs a key in order to decrypt the data, ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)