Re: "Microsoft Base Cryptographic Provider v1.0" does not work on Win2000

From: Valery Pryamikov (valery_at_harper.no)
Date: 10/04/05

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 23:16:05 +0200

Hi,
Base Cryptographic Provider doesn't support RSA encryption keys stronger
than 512 bits. This provider is reminders of last century's USA strong
crypto exporting restrictions and it should not be used nowadays - use
Strong or Enhanced providers instead.

-Valery.
http://www.harper.no/valery

"Oleg Shadrunov" <shogel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, All!
>

> Following code works on Windows XP SP2/SP1 (eng, IE 6.0.2900.2180), but
> does not work on Windows 2000 SP4 (eng, IE 5.00.3700.1000). On both system
> .NET Framework 1.1.4 is installed.
>

> CspParameters csp = new CspParameters();
>
> csp.KeyContainerName = "OC_AS_asax_1_11";
>
> csp.ProviderType=1;
>
> csp.ProviderName="Microsoft Base Cryptographic Provider v1.0";
>
> csp.Flags = CspProviderFlags.UseMachineKeyStore;
>
> RSACryptoServiceProvider rsa = new RSACryptoServiceProvider(1024,csp);
>
> byte[] buf = new byte[58];
>
> byte[] ebuf=rsa.Encrypt(buf, false);
>

> "Bad key" exception throws when Encrypt is called. It works only when I
> replace "Microsoft Base Cryptographic Provider v1.0" with "Microsoft
> Enhanced Cryptographic Provider v1.0". Why? Does anybody know what is the
> problem?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Does CryptAcquireContext work with Roaming user profiles?
    ... User profile is PT_ROAMING ... failed Keyset does not exist ... Trying CryptAcquireContext(Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider v1.0, ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Does CryptAcquireContext work with Roaming user profiles?
    ... Normally this indicates that the user profile is not loaded (needed by ... > Trying CryptAcquireContext(Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider v1.0, ... > Trying CryptAcquireContext(Microsoft Base Cryptographic Provider v1.0)... ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Enhanced crypto provider not available when obtaining Verisign digital ID
    ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ... > Both Win XP Home and Win XP Pro users are reporting an ... > The problem is that only the Base Cryptographic Provider ... > process requires the Enhanced Cryptographic Provider. ...
  • Enhanced crypto provider not available when obtaining Verisign digital ID
    ... Both Win XP Home and Win XP Pro users are reporting an ... inability to complete an online application for Verisign ... The problem is that only the Base Cryptographic Provider ... process requires the Enhanced Cryptographic Provider. ...
  • MS Encryptographic Provider
    ... How can I find out if my Internet Explorer 6/Outlook Express 6 has the"MS ... Enhanced Cryptographic Provider", which provides 1024-bit key encryption, or ... the "MS Base Cryptographic Provider", which offers 512-bit key encryption? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)