Re: Limiting exe permissions

From: Rene (nospam_at_nospam.com)
Date: 08/25/05

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:30:21 -0500

Well, the download of the setup file is from the Internet but once the user
click on the Setup.exe, the program gets installed on the computer and I
believe it will no longer answer to the Internet permission right?

The other option that I am giving my users it to download all the files via
zip file, they can then extract the files to a folder on their computer and
simply double click my exe from them. I believe that if they do that the
Internet permission won't take effect either.

Am I right?

"Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospamdevelop.com>
wrote in message news:791716632605544772877520@news.microsoft.com...
> Hello Rene,
>
> that's the default. Just try it - if your program is coming from the
> internet zone it has very limited permissions. If you want to lower
> permissions for interet originating programs in general you have to modify
> the Internet permission set in mscorcfg.msc
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>
>> I recently finished a C# program that is based on the .Net 1.1
>> framework and I am planning to make this program available as a
>> download from the Internet.
>>
>> Since the program is something you can download from the Internet and
>> since most people are afraid of running application from companies
>> they don't know anything about, I would like to tell my user how to
>> protect them selves from my own application in case they are concern
>> that my program may have a virus or some sort of spy ware (it does not
>> but I can't ask them to blindly trust me).
>>
>> To achive this, I tried running the "Trust and Assembly" utility from
>> the ".Net Wizard" section and set the permission for my application to
>> "None". After doing that, I was expecting not to be able to run the
>> program but I was still able to run it.
>>
>> My question is: What do I need to do to assign a permission to my
>> application so that it is not be able to browse other directories in
>> my computer, access the registry, make screenshots etc.
>>
>> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: trend-micro
    ... Is it safe for you to uninstall Trend Micro and install the Antivirus ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ... Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a ... and some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
  • Re: Spyware
    ... > Internet trying to load games, ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... keep it clean,secure and running at its top performance mark. ... and some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: dialer pops up..help!!
    ... If I download spyware blaster, will that solve my current dilema? ... Sure do appreciate your help and advice. ... >> I have xp pro on my computer and high speed cable internet, ...
  • Re: computer virus usegroups
    ... New Virus Stealing Information from Computer Users ... You can infect ... attempt to download from a Russian website. ... Internet Explorer to protect users of its Internet Explorer browsers ...
    (sci.med.diseases.lyme)
  • Re: Adware/Spyware
    ... You should also empty your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... are pay - some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...