Re: StreamWriter causes SecurityException when attempting to write to network drive..need help

From: Nicole Calinoiu (calinoiu)
Date: 08/22/05

    Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:58:10 -0400

    <LordHog@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1124470446.799207.115890@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > Nicole,
    >
    > Since I probably will not be able to accomplish executing the
    > application from a network and then write a report file to a network
    > drive, how do I go about checking before hand if the application has
    > security permission to open then write to a file?

    The most suitable approach would probably be to demand the necessary
    FileIOPermission in your code, presumably when your application loads. (I'm
    guessing that you'll probably want to demand unrestricted FileIOPermission
    given that it sounds like you want the user to be able to save to any local
    or network location at any time.) Just be careful to call into a separate
    method to make the demand since the Demand method only evaluates the higher
    level callers, not the method from which the Demand call itself is made.

    Just so you know, it's also possible to prevent the loading of your
    application if it does not have the appropriate permissions. Since you'll
    presumably want to actually run the assembly in order to display a custom
    message to the users in case of missing permissions, this probably isn't the
    approach you'll want to take. However, just in case you would prefer it for
    some reason, the basic approach is to add a "request minimum" security
    attribute at the assembly level. e.g.:

    [assembly: FileIOPermission(SecurityAction.RequestMinimum, Unrestricted =
    true)]