Communicating between ASP.NET and SQL Server on separate servers

From: Marc Butenko (Butenko_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/18/05

    Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:55:01 -0700

    I have an ASP.NET (version 1.1) application that needs to read data from a
    SQL Server 2000 database. Both IIS and the SQL Server are running Windows
    2000.

    My first attempt to get this to work was to create mirrored local ASPNET
    accounts (same user name and password) on both boxes and give this account
    rights to the database. This caused a "Server Application Unavailable"
    message, which referred me to the event log. The event log had an error:
    "aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched because the username and/or password
    supplied in the processModel section of the config file are invalid.
    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started.
    HRESULT for the failure: 80004005"

    So, after some research I modified the <processModel> portion of the
    Machine.config file to specify the same password as the local ASPNET
    accounts. I still get the same error.

    Does anyone have a clue how to resolve this?

    A second question is what is the "best practice" for connecting to SQL
    Server when it is on a different server than IIS?

    Thanks,
    Marc Butenko
    mbutenko@mt.gov