Re: Determine whether user is authenticated against a Domain / AD

From: Joubert Nel (j_at_j.j)
Date: 07/06/05

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:32:30 -0400

Hello Dominick,

Thanks for the input - this is the route I'm taking (doing the comparison) -
I was wondering whether there is perhaps a property in the framework that
indicates this. Thanks for the confirmation.

Regards
Joubert

"Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospamdevelop.com>
wrote in message news:555367632562026310159120@news.microsoft.com...
> Hello Joubert,
>
> the username has the following format AUTHORITY\USERNAME
>
> authority would be in the case of local accounts the local machine name
(compare
> to the machinename environment variable) - otherwise the authority is the
> domain.
>
> maybe that helps
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What is the recommended way to determine whether the user is
> > authenticated against a Domain or AD?
> >
> > Simply checking WindowsIdentity.IsAuthenticated and
> > WindowsIdentity.AuthenticationType does not distinguish between a user
> > that is logged into a domain account and a user that is logged into a
> > local account.
> >
> > Regards
> > Joubert

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem with ASPNET after uninstalling domain controler
    ... > Got tidbits? ... >> domain controler role and uninstalled the AD. ... >> since all local accounts were removed from the server. ...
  • Re: Using WMI from Within a service.
    ... Best regards, ... Gerry Hickman wrote: ... "You can't use local accounts to connect to remote machines." ... Be exact:You cannot use local system accounts, but you can "local accounts from that remote machine". ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
  • Re: Does sharepoint portal require AD to function?
    ... SharePoint can run with local accounts. ... > Best Regards, ... > Kit Kai ... Prev by Date: ...
  • Re: Very Begginer Server 2003 question.
    ... Yes these are local accounts. ... > server and can not logon locally with the new accounts. ... but I must be missing something since I can not log ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)