Re: custom event log

From: Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\) (joseph.e.kaplan_at_removethis.accenture.com)
Date: 06/23/05

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:33:41 -0500

What he said applies to both.

Generally with ASP.NET apps, you create your event source as part of the
deployment process and then just write to the event source from the app. If
the app attempts to create the event source itself, it will generally fail
unless you have configured ASP.NET to run as a local admin which is
generally regarded as a really bad idea.

Joe K.

<dl> wrote in message news:OZhNli$dFHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi Dominick
> I am still on 1.1, and will not be using 2.0 in the near future though!
>
> "Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]" <dbaier@pleasepleasenospamdevelop.com>
> wrote in message news:511931632551368453514427@news.microsoft.com...
>> Hello dl,
>>
>> there is a EventLog.CreateEventSource() method. But you need
> administrative
>> privs to create an Event Source - so it will likely not work from asp.net
>> directly.
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
>> http://www.leastprivilege.com
>>
>> > Hi
>> > Has anyone successfully created a custom event log from asp.net /
>> > simply
>> > editing the Reg?! Can you share how, please?!
>> > TIA

Relevant Pages

  • RE: App cant write to EventLog on Windows Server 2003
    ... If you are writing to an event source of "MyApp" in the ... App can't write to EventLog on Windows Server 2003 ... >2000 Server but when I try to run it on Windows 2003 Server I ... >rather than a custom log but the problem still occurs. ...
  • Re: custom event log
    ... But do I get CreateEventSource in 1.1, I can't find it in the SDK doc? ... can only find the related documentation online and it said supported in .NET ... > deployment process and then just write to the event source from the app. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: App cant write to EventLog on Windows Server 2003
    ... "I have an app that writes to a custom event log (which is ... The event source is definitely created because if I ... run the app as an admin I can write entries to MyLog just fine. ... >>created at install time with a custom installer DLL). ...