Getting user ID from Web Service credentials

From: Jeff Connelly (nomail_at_thank.you)
Date: 04/12/05

    Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:09:29 -0400

    Fairly new to Windows security issues.... We have login to our application,
    and I'm trying to implement Windows authentication. It works OK in the
    standalone client app (I use their Windows current user name to log them
    in.) When I use a Web Service, I don't think it's working. I'll use this
    example provided by Microsoft.

    There's a Web Service called Service1. In the client app:

    localhost.Service1 myProxy = new localhost.Service1();
    myProxy.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;

    myProxy is of type System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol, I
    believe. This is supposed to add the user name and password to the HTTP
    headers. The code runs, however I can't verify this. I can't see any way
    to get the user name from the Web Services code. When I look at the user
    name in the credentials object above from the client side, it's always
    blank, and I don't know how to see it in the headers from the Web Services
    side.

    For both the client side caller and the Web Service, I have set in IIS
    Integrated Windows Authentication on, and anonymous access off. Thanks for
    any pointers.