Re: How to run aspnet with system account

From: Kevin Spencer (kevin_at_DIESPAMMERSDIEtakempis.com)
Date: 04/06/05

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:01:45 -0400

Hang on a minute guys. This is self-contradictory:

>> It is too dangerous to run it as SYSTEM!

> The *only* reason to change the account used for ASP.NET
> ( from SYSTEM to ASPNET, and now to Network Service ),
> was to be able to run ASP.NET in a less-dangerous security context.

In other words, it is either too dangerous to run it in as the System
account, or it is USUALLY too dangerous to run it as the System account.
Which one is true?

The reason I ask is that we run it as System, and have for years. Why?
Because it is our servers, and nobody else's. We are not a hosting service.
And I am in charge of the software that goes on it.

Most executable applications run under the System account.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer