Re: local admin security question

From: Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\) (joseph.e.kaplan_at_removethis.accenture.com)
Date: 04/06/05

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:05:26 -0500

If you are concerned about security, then it is probably best to avoid using
an account that has admin privileges at all. Does your app absolutely
require that?

The question of local account vs. domain account depends on whether the
service needs to access domain resources on the network.

If you really need admin privileges and only need a local machine account,
then creating a different user is probably a good idea because then you can
change the regular administrator password easily without breaking your
service.

Joe K.

"Jeff Pigott" <jpigott@karmak.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest whether to use Local Admin service as a Windows service
> account for our .NET ADO applicaiton or create a user with Admin
> privledges to use for this account?
>
> Is one better than the other?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Windows XP local Privileges
    ... adjust group policy on the Domain Controller or Assuming you have ... will now have the admin privileges required to set up the proxy and internet ... And set up a local account as follows to do the work in... ... Just go to user accounts (Control Panel>User Accounts) on the workstation. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Admin account suddenly changing to a standard one
    ... (with admin privileges, ... the system I could login but the account whose short name I changed - the ... Given your level of experience, and assuming you have backed up your important data, I'd say the easiest and fastest way to recover from the changes you've made would be to simply re-install the operating system and restore your data from backup at this point. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: KB948109 installed files on USB drive - cannot remove them
    ... IF there is more free space on the USB drive than that's where the updates will be staged from. ... A User Account with Admin privileges is sufficient to install updates, there's no need to log on as *the* Admin. ... I did try SAFE mode previously, but hadn't realised that it was necessary for the Admin account to explicitly take ownership of the files first, nor had I realised that a user account with Admin privileges would not be able to perform the clean-up. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Admin account suddenly changing to a standard one
    ... root password by typing su at the terminal's prompt. ... article online saying that you could achieve it by opening up NetInfo ... (with admin privileges, ... the system I could login but the account whose short name I changed - the ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • RE: secure user account
    ... Not sure about your first question. ... they have the ability to anything to that PC. ... you can't assign domain level admin privileges to a local ... PC account. ...