Re: System.Security.SecurityException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A0046

From: Nicole Calinoiu (calinoiu)
Date: 01/29/05

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:17:40 -0500

Crissy,

The SecurityException you're seeing will occur when using FSO if the user
has insufficient permissions or if the file is locked in some way (in use by
another process, flagged as read-only, etc.). It sounds like you've managed
to confirm that it's a permissions issue, in which case the file permissions
must be changed.

In most shared hosting situations, your account would not have permissions
to alter the ACLs (access control lists) on the files so, unless you have
information to the contrary from your provider, it's very likely that
there's nothing you can do to directly alter the permissions settings.
Instead, you will probably need to request that your hosting provider do
this for you. This will be easier for the provider staff if the files are
all located in a single directory, and it will be safer for you if the
deletable files are the only files in the directory (since your users would
become theoretically capable of deleting any file in the directory).

HTH,
Nicole

"Crissy" <nospam@developmentnow.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> HRESULT: 0x800A0046 (CTL_E_PERMISSIONDENIED).
>
> Source Error:

> web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
>
> Stack Trace:
>
> [SecurityException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A0046
> (CTL_E_PERMISSIONDENIED).]
>
> Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object
> o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames,
> Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn) +794
> Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateCall(Object o,
> Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[]
> CopyBack) +23
> jeep.FileManager.GoFile.FMDeleteFile(String myFile) in C:\Documents and
> Settings\Bluesky\VSWebCache\www.midwestjeepthing.com\jeep\Common\FileManagement.vb:28
> jeep.ManageImages.View(Object s, DataGridCommandEventArgs e) in
> C:\Documents and
> Settings\Bluesky\VSWebCache\www.midwestjeepthing.com\jeep\Member\ManageImages.aspx.vb:110
>
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid.OnItemCommand(DataGridCommandEventArgs
> e) +110
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid.OnBubbleEvent(Object source,
> EventArgs e) +68
> System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args)
> +26
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItem.OnBubbleEvent(Object source,
> EventArgs e) +100
> System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args)
> +26
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +120
>
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
> eventArgument) +115
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler
> sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +138
> System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +218
> System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +18
>
> System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
> +179
> System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&
> completedSynchronously) +87
>

> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032;
> ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032
>

> The only experience I have with web design, I used Putty or FTP to access
> the server. The only option I have now is FTP or through our ISP's site.
> On the FTP site, the permissions aren't correct, for whatever reason. It
> shows ALL the files as having RWX for all groups, which is wrong. Somebody
> tried giving me instructions on fixing this but their directions included
> things that I have no way of doing through FTP or the ISP's site. Please
> help me! Since I'm new to this, I require baby step instructions :) THANKS

Relevant Pages

  • RE: FTP to IIS Web directory security problem
    ... it is not recommended to point an FTP virtual directory to ... permissions management and will alter NTFS permissions on files as needed. ... Author or Browse pages according to the FPSE security ...
  • RE: What server hardening are you doing these days?
    ... permissions on their data, and Microsoft encourages ISVs to minimize ... I've been able to discuss ACLs and other security issues in Windows with ... Control or DAC (which is what you're referring to by the "stupid ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: FTP control
    ... > I would like to use NTFS security settings to control who ... I would suggest getting a third party FTP server, ... if you set quota and these permissions for that group you can ... Information Server (IIS) Web site, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Windows Firewall Wont Stay On
    ... I have come up with a solution that does not disable Security Center, ... By changing the Permissions of that key, ... settings from being changed again. ... the firewall alert settings in Security Center get ...
  • Re: get rid of security center?