Protecting non-asp.net folder contents with forms authentication

From: Daryl Gregory (daryl.gregory_at_gmail.com)
Date: 01/10/05

Date: 10 Jan 2005 11:59:30 -0800

Hi folks,

I'm struggling to understand how forms authentication can protect
content that is not handled by the asp.net handler. For example, if a
user tries to download http://mydomain.com/mydemo.exe, we want that
request to be blocked, and have the user routed to a login page. Once
the user logs in, she should be able to download the file.

Every example I've found shows how to protect aspx pages (which we can
already do). What technologies are needed to make this happen for non-
.net content(if possible at all) -- ActiveDirectory, Authorization
Manager, IIS 6 UrlAuthorization?

If anyone can explain how this works, or point me toward a paper or
example, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

--Daryl

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Copyright
    ... >>> instructions to other users not to download any file from my ... >>> that would be a violation of copyright law. ... >> No. Did you make the files available to the P2P network? ... >>> copies are too stringent and designed to protect the largest companies ...
    (misc.legal)
  • Re: Mother Decides to Fight Downloading Suit on Her Own
    ... > parent's fault for not knowing what the kid was doing. ... > across the center line and that's why we have medial strips to protect ... > Regarding this music download case, did the PC come equipped with the ... What good is an industry ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Re: Download Series Question
    ... >> the download, you have to enter your personal information to establish ... > This Web site has security measures in place to protect the loss, ... > protect our rights or the rights and safety of others. ... login/password for the Gov't Mule online store work at gdstore.com... ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: computer problems, is it my hard drive
    ... Then reinstall the operating system from scratch. ... If you should accidentally download IE7 in the process, ... about to resolve problems. ... down to protect my ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Verry slllooow browser!
    ... >>Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, ... >>Please respond in Newsgroup. ... >>Protect your PC ... Any video files I try to watch are ...