Problem with control hosted in IE

From: bogdanutz (bogdanc_at_teamnet.ro)
Date: 10/05/04

Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:46:23 +0300

I have a windows control that resides in a strong named assembly. The
assembly has the AllowPartialyTrustedCallers attribute.
On the server the dll that contains the control is in a virtual directory
that also contains a webService.
The virtual directory's authentication is windows (as the application's -
i'm using impersonation).

The windows control is embeded in a page with the "object" tag.
I logon to another machine using a local account (not one that the IIS could
now).
When i request this page from that machine IE request that i give him a
windows account name and password and after that
the internet explorer loads the assembly just fine, but when trying to
access the web service mentioned eralier
IIS returns a security exception (401).

Before calling any method of the web service , i set the web service's
credentials to System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials.
Upon inspecting the server's event log, under security, i found a "Failure
Audit":

Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: Administrator
Domain: VM_2KPRO_GOL
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: VM_2KPRO_GOL
Caller User Name: -
Caller Domain: -
Caller Logon ID: -

The logon failure refers to the name "Administrator" , the local account I
used to logon to the machine, not the one I gave to IE.
The documentation refering to System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials
says that it will USUALLY(?) give the windows
credentials.

So,what is the problem , is there another way to access the service with
windows authentication?

(I tried also with anonymus access on IIS and the web service and forms
authentication for the app but the cookie is not sent along with the request
for the web service
so there is no way for me to authenticate the user)

Thanx

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ADFS Development Issues
    ... site to be automatically authenticated by our windows application so ... based on redirects and possibly uses forms-based authentication to collect ... web service proxies don't handle this type of thing ... the server based on how it needs to work. ...
  • Can a GINA STUB fulfil my requirement?
    ... Initial Authentication: ... The user enters the username and password on the logon screen, ... the credentials can also be used to logon to Windows or ... The user enters the username and OTP. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.language)
  • Re: IIS 5.0 IWA - Really need tips to solve this issue
    ... IE May Prompt You For a Password ... Just because you are using IWA doesn't mean that logon is automatic - it is ... Annoynymous Access & Authentication Control: Integrated Windows ...
  • Calling ws secured by Forms Auth. from WinForms userctrls in HTML
    ... from Windows Forms user controls embedded in HTML. ... Now I what to secure my web-services using Forms Authentication on the IIS. ... This works just fine for manual browsing of the web service. ... But when the embedded Windows Forms user control tries to access the web ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Web Service Deployment Project
    ... I want to create a deployment project for a Web Service where the only ... Anonymous Authentication enabled, and Windows Authentication disabled, ... Web Service and then telling them that they have to modify all the IIS ...
    (microsoft.public.vstudio.general)