Re: cleanup of data from memory

From: Hernan de Lahitte (hernan_at_lagash.com)
Date: 07/08/04

Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:09:07 -0300

I just posted a SecureString class (like the Whidbey countrerpart) but for
v1.1
You will found classes for ProtectedMemory and ProtectedData (wrappers for
the DPAPI functions) as well.

Hope this help.

--
Hernan de Lahitte
Lagash Systems S.A.
"Srini" <Srini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> By using all the security APIs and encryption algorithms we are able to
encrypt the data.

> What about the following scenario?
>
> After we encrypt the data we release the BYTE[] or memory stream or
something else without doing anytihng to the memory conatined by them. What
if some other process gets that memory later on ond because the
un-encrypted(confidential data)
> is stil sitting there in that memory that new process has gotten access to
our data. Is there a specific procedure that we need to follow(is it the
application responsibility to reset the memory contents bofore it releases
it)? or does the OS clean/reset the memory before it allocates it to some
other process?

> Is there anything in .NET to prevent this from happening.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> Srini

Relevant Pages

  • Re: start existing process in memory
    ... TrueCrypt, from memory again. ... I use it to encrypt data on my USB ... TrueCrypt.exe reside on the open partition so it is possible for ... If that is not the case, I would have the second script find the executable by looking wherever it might be located (as someone already suggested. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin)
  • Please suggest a simple 8-bit cipher
    ... We need to encrypt short messages with only a very ... little computing power and memory (let's say, ... The algorithm nor the keys will not be published. ... The most probable attack is that the attacker knows a few (not much ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Making an assembly into a part
    ... Memory getting low??? ... *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from ...
    (comp.cad.solidworks)
  • Re: user rights to run a .exe file
    ... > files that come on their usb memory sticks to encrypt the data. ... > try to run it access is denied.The exe file allows resides on the memory ... and to enter their password to access the encrypted area. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Encryption using CryptEncryptMessage
    ... Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at ... > I am trying to Encrypt the Message using ... > whos OID is szOID_RSA_RC4, now I want to use the 3DES and AES based ... > memory after wards but I want to limit the memory usage of this function ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)