Re: cleanup of data from memory

From: Hernan de Lahitte (
Date: 07/08/04

Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:09:07 -0300

I just posted a SecureString class (like the Whidbey countrerpart) but for
You will found classes for ProtectedMemory and ProtectedData (wrappers for
the DPAPI functions) as well.

Hope this help.

Hernan de Lahitte
Lagash Systems S.A.
"Srini" <> wrote in message
> By using all the security APIs and encryption algorithms we are able to
encrypt the data.
> What about the following scenario?
> After we encrypt the data we release the BYTE[] or memory stream or
something else without doing anytihng to the memory conatined by them. What
if some other process gets that memory later on ond because the
un-encrypted(confidential data)
> is stil sitting there in that memory that new process has gotten access to
our data. Is there a specific procedure that we need to follow(is it the
application responsibility to reset the memory contents bofore it releases
it)? or does the OS clean/reset the memory before it allocates it to some
other process?
> Is there anything in .NET to prevent this from happening.
> Thanks for the help.
> Srini

Relevant Pages

  • Re: start existing process in memory
    ... TrueCrypt, from memory again. ... I use it to encrypt data on my USB ... TrueCrypt.exe reside on the open partition so it is possible for ... If that is not the case, I would have the second script find the executable by looking wherever it might be located (as someone already suggested. ...
  • Please suggest a simple 8-bit cipher
    ... We need to encrypt short messages with only a very ... little computing power and memory (let's say, ... The algorithm nor the keys will not be published. ... The most probable attack is that the attacker knows a few (not much ...
  • Re: Making an assembly into a part
    ... Memory getting low??? ... *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from ...
  • Re: user rights to run a .exe file
    ... > files that come on their usb memory sticks to encrypt the data. ... > try to run it access is denied.The exe file allows resides on the memory ... and to enter their password to access the encrypted area. ...
  • Re: Encryption using CryptEncryptMessage
    ... Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at ... > I am trying to Encrypt the Message using ... > whos OID is szOID_RSA_RC4, now I want to use the 3DES and AES based ... > memory after wards but I want to limit the memory usage of this function ...