Re: IE Hosted Control - Deploying Security

From: Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\) (joseph.e.kaplan_at_removethis.accenture.com)
Date: 03/29/04

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:11:35 -0600

How do you usually deploy applicacations to users machines? You will need
admin privileges to modify the local policy; there isn't any way around that
and that is a good thing.

Can you deploy the MSI via group policy or something like that?

Joe K.

"Anthony Shorrock" <ashorrockdsada@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've a winforms created control hosted in IE that works superbly when I
> configure the Code Groups manually using the Framework configuration
wizard.

> I'd love to use this control in an Intranet Environment. I'm having
problems
> because I'd like to be able to configure my users' machines to allow my
> control to run but my users do not have administrative rights to their
> machine.
>
> This means the Configuration tool's Machine Policy is read-only.
>
> I've tried creating an MSI deploy file using the Configuration tool and
> running on a non-admin user client - it fails silently.
>
> I've tried creating a setup project and including a class installer custom
> action (as detailed here : http://www.sellsbrothers.com/wahoo/) This fails
> because the non-admin user can't write to the Program Files directory.
>
> I've run out of steam.
>
> Does anyone have any advice for me?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A policy to stop Internet usage
    ... Internet is a DSL from ATT and they control the router. ... Group Policy for certain users, would that policy aply even if the users have ... Putting the machines in a workgroup will only exacerbate things, ...
  • Re: Publishing Software...
    ... Are the users on the machines in question, members of the local Administrators group?? ... The Group Policy client-side extension Security failed to execute. ... User Rights configuration was completed with one or more errors. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Restricted Groups Not Working
    ... 2:Please bear in mind that 90% of the policy is applying it only seems to be the restricted groups section that isnt taking effect and 'allow to load and unload device drivers' which also doesnt seem to be working. ... Also all machines are running SP2 and with the latest hotfixes as provided by our SUS server. ... When adding users to the "Administrators" group, remember that you can't browse for that group, you have to type "Administrators". ... In the "Members of this group", browse for the "Global Security Group" created in Step 1. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: EventID 1054 from Userenv for startup script
    ... So if you said "some machines don't have full access to the network ... at startup" the GPO's seems not to apply correct. ... startup script policy. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Restricted Groups Not Working
    ... Have you tried running the GPMC's "Group Policy ... Also all machines are running SP2 and with the latest hotfixes as ... are all the machines (desktops and laptops) running XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)