Accessing credentials cached by wininet from .NET Framework

From: Marcus F (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/16/04

    Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:36:09 -0800

    Hi

    As I understand it, if I visit a web page in IE that requires authentication, wininet.dll calls InternetErrorDlg (ERROR_INTERNET_INCORRECT_PASSWORD) which prompts the user for their username and password. Once the correct credentials have been supplied, these are then cached by wininet.dll and will be tried when accessing secured resources within that site, regardless of which instance of IE makes the call, until the last instance of IE has been unloaded and the memory released.

    I am calling system.Web.HttpRequest in the .NET Framework, to access a resource that I have already authenticated to within IE. I can only connect to it if I explicitly specify credentials:

    request.Credentials = New NetworkCredential("username", "password")

    How can I access and reuse the credentials that the user supplied, that are already cached by wininet.dll rather than the user having to be prompted for the same set of credentials twice?

    Thanks in advance!

    • Accessing credentials cached by wininet from .NET Framework
      ... I am calling system.Web.HttpRequest in the .NET Framework, to access a resource that I have already authenticated to within IE. ... How can I access and reuse the credentials that the user supplied, that are already cached by wininet.dll rather than the user having to be prompted for the same set of credentials twice? ...
    • Re: IIS6 - Integrated Authentication Probs
      ... When you use Basic authentication, ... outlined in Chapter 5 of the IIS 6 Resource Kit: ... > b) - Despite the fact these credentials are being parsed, ... > Hence - this is a general problem with the way the web server is using my ...
    • Re: IIS6 - Integrated Authentication Probs
      ... So I cant go the whole way with constrained delegation, ... > what makes it more secure that Basic authentication. ... >> credentials to authenticate with the target resource. ...
    • Credentials.GetCredentials exception
      ... new doc hits a doc lib. ... instructions in Scot Hillier's Microsfot SharePoint: ... When calling Credentials. ... The Microsoft Single Sign-on service failed to retrieve credentials ...
      (microsoft.public.sharepoint.portalserver.development)
    • Re: why password authentication only for some users while accessing server?
      ... Normally domain users are not required to enter credentials when accessing a domain ... resource that they have permissions to. ... When some users try to access server resources through ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)