Re: Windows authentication on a Web service returning Access Denied (401).

From: Daniel Bass (_at_)
Date: 02/06/04

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:15:19 -0000

Paul

That works as you'd expect, giving you that page with the avialable methods
on the web service.

Dan

"Paul" <a@b.com> wrote in message
Daniel,

What happens when you just go to the .asmx page using IE?

-Paul

"Daniel Bass" <I'm really @ sick of spam> wrote in message
> Hey,
>
> [ Background ]
> I've been asked to look into network security where an IIS virtual
directory
> is configure to not have anonymous access, but rather to go with the
windows
> authentication (what the user signs in as at client). This is in the
context
> of a ASP.Net web service running on an intranet.
>
> [ What I have done ]
> - I've ticked and unticked all the right boxes in IIS.
> - I've also added the
> "myserviceproxy.Credentials =
> System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;"
> to the client side [ Web / Windows ] Application so that they are
passed
> through to the server for the request message.
> - I've also ensured that my user account on the client side, is registered
> as a user on the server on which the web service resides.
>
> [ The problem ]
> But when I try to process any messages, I get back an HTTP 401: Access
> Denied message.
> What am I doing wrong, or not doing at all?
> I'm very new to all this, so if I'm missing something obvious, please
> forgive me.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> Daniel.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Still Need desperate help to start with ASP NET - simplified problems - HELP!!
    ... You could do it as a web service. ... The handler can draw on the webservice for information and db lookup. ... IE posts data AJAX to handler on web server ... featured application (say thick client) which does a lot of complicate ...
  • Re: Impersonated login to web service from outside domain
    ... the client is part of the domain group. ... : integrated windows auth fails. ... You can try creating an identical local user on the server (as the one you ... next call to the web service (ie. the process requiring the credentials to ...
  • Re: Unable to access AS2k from Win 2k m/c URGENT!!!!!!
    ... No, the Win2k machine just needs to have XMLA SDK and/or ADOMD.NET, MSXML4 ... > Analysis server need more credentials than specified in my ... the same machine as the ADOMD.NET client. ... Why do you need this web service ...
    (microsoft.public.data.xmlanalysis)
  • Re: Impersonated login to web service from outside domain
    ... the client is part of the domain group. ... You can try creating an identical local user on the server (as the one you ... next call to the web service (ie. the process requiring the credentials to ... Any other windows server gurus care to clarify? ...
  • Re: Web service testing
    ... To test if my code was faulty or not, I back-ported the web service to a standard 2.0 web service using Visual Studio 2005. ... The service is run under IIS on a Windows 2003 server, so there are no server side connection limits that can explain this. ... ASP.NET webservice application. ... In addition, since the problems occur at client, you can use Visual studio ...