Re: Is there any asymmetric crypto API to allow decrypting a message but not encrypting it?

From: Mickey Williams (my)
Date: 10/04/03

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:01:46 -0700

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for. Doesn't everyone have the
public key? Isn't its public availablility the very essence of asymmetric
encryption? If you're worried that an arbitrary client might be able to sign
a plain-text message and spoof the producer's identity, provide a signature.

--
Mickey Williams
Author, "Microsoft Visual C# .NET Core Reference", MS Press
"Andy Chau" <wunchun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I try to use RSA to implement the following scheme but wasn't sucessful.
>
> Sever encrypt a message using a public key, the client decrpyt the message
> using a private key.
>
> I don't want the client to be able to encrypt a message.
>
> However, using the Crypto API I need to pass in both the private and
public
> key pairs in order to decrypt the message.
> When the client has both private and public key, it can just use the
public
> key to encrypt the message which is what I don't want to allow.
>
> Does anyone know if there is any asymmetric crypto API to implmenet this
> scheme?
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
>
> Andy

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Cannot decrypt files encrypted using Crypto API on a different
    ... On the client computer you app first would try to open the container ... the server generates session key, wraps it with the client's public key, ... encrypts the content with the session key and sends both the wrapped session ... encrypt your data with this key ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: More on learning "Public Key Authentication" [correction]
    ... As the person who created that private ... How do I "specify" the file? ... > transfer the long 2048 digit public key to the other computer. ... specific keyfile you want to use to encrypt or sign a specific data ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Encryption question
    ... will be able to encrypt and decrypt the same messange. ... it with alice private key.... ... >>messange with his public nor with is private. ... she will encrypt it with his public key. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Cannot decrypt files encrypted using Crypto API on a different
    ... but what is the point to encrypt the data if ANYBODY can decrypt it (since ... the server just sends something to somebody or first the client contacts the ... supposed to somehow encrypt the file and distribute it to the clients. ... the server generates session key, wraps it with the client's public key, ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • RE: Cannot decrypt files encrypted using Crypto API on a different
    ... supposed to somehow encrypt the file and distribute it to the clients. ... On the client computer you app first would try to open the container ... the server generates session key, wraps it with the client's public key, ... encrypts the content with the session key and sends both the wrapped session ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)