How to protect intellectual property?

From: Konstantin Kipa (konstantin_at_metaobjects.net)
Date: 07/07/03

    Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:22:04 +0200

    Hi all!

    I am developing commercial software using Microsoft .NET. The only concern I
    have is how to protect the code from being used by someone else. Lets say,
    I've developed a nice component that I use across several applications. I
    will deploy an assembly to the GAC. But anyone can just use it, copy it and
    deploy it...

    Even more, anyone can decompile it using ildasm, change namespaces and
    component names and compile it back with ilasm. Having tools like Anakrino
    will provide the full access to my code, so it wouldn't be difficult to
    reproduce or reuse it without my permission.

    Tools like obfuscators cannot stop anyone, they rather make it difficult for
    me to maintain and deploy the new versions of my assemblies.

    Is there a How-To on assemblies protection?

    This is just the top of the iceberg. What about my application protection
    from hackers? Is there a ready to use protection system that I can use (or
    at least a How-To). I am developing try-before-you-buy software, therefore,
    I need a trial period to be available for user and be able to run fully
    functional app upon receiving a license (a key).

    Thanks in advance

    ---
    Konstantin

    • Re: On-line Review of "Art of Assembly"
      ... > work with another PC OS, including the hardware drivers? ... Windows, you can use "CygWin" where the Linux kernel has been written ... Plus, on this score, stop to think about _why_ Microsoft insist on ... "protection" was totally flawed from beginning to end and only hurt ...
      (alt.lang.asm)
    • RE: Information Rights Management
      ... As much as I love Adobe, Microsoft does a better job here. ... protection on PDF files is readily broken...as in, ... > standard-passwords protection for office files). ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: A 6% fix from Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750
      ... I do not mean to insult you personally. ... I take information security very seriously also. ... It seems Microsoft ... > for that kind of protection. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: A 6% fix from Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750
      ... I do not mean to insult you personally. ... I take information security very seriously also. ... It seems Microsoft ... > for that kind of protection. ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: A 6% fix from Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750
      ... I do not mean to insult you personally. ... I take information security very seriously also. ... It seems Microsoft ... > for that kind of protection. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)